tailless whipscorpion mystery

bugladyfoutch

Arachnopeon
My tailless whipscorpion has a 3/8 inch black ball attached under her. Is this a bad egg case? I thought they were like scorpions, "live" birth. She has no abdomen thickness, she looks more like an ecdysis that a live bug but she is still active.

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That sounds like an eggsack keep an eve on it if it gets huge and translucent full of eggs it is a fertile sack, if, in a few (weeks/days) it comes off and it eats it, which this I have seen with my own eyes, and I have photos of that I'll try to put up, it was abandon or not fertile I will assume.

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
My tailless whipscorpion has a 3/8 inch black ball attached under her. Is this a bad egg case? I thought they were like scorpions, "live" birth. She has no abdomen thickness, she looks more like an ecdysis that a live bug but she is still active.
The egg case develops under her abdomen, but it never appears "attached under her". My guess is you are right about it being a bad case that she is dropping...not sure.

The case slowly fills the concavity that appears as the underside of the abdomen becomes, well...concave. I have been watching my female diadema closely since 08Nov. The egg case is always the width of her abdomen and is hard to detect until just a couple weeks before hatch, that is, unless you get a good view of her underside, and as tight as these guys hug their rock or bark...that can be tough to do unless you grab and observe, something I was reluctant to do.

Her babies just crawled out late last week. Here they be...what is weird and totally unexpected to me is that the babies are alternating between above and below her abdomen...didn't know they did that.

Just for kicks...here is one of my baby H. batesii. I have a trio, they have molted three times.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Smashtoad, I love that H.batesii :)

This thread should be moved to the correct section....btw.

smashtoad

Arachnopeon
Nice pix...what are you feeding the newborns?
I breed fruitflies...they should work nicely. The young haven't left mom yet.

Smashtoad, I love that H.batesii :)

This thread should be moved to the correct section....btw.
Thanks, Michiel. Yeah, they are really cool. They hold themselves up so much higher off the ground than Damon...as adults they should be pretty intimidating. They seem to handle better than Damon, although I don't handle them much.

Just wish I could get A. coronatus.