Tailless whip scorpion information please.

Aron W

Arachnosquire
Hello everyone. I am considering purchasing a tailless whip scorpion and would like some information on how to care for it. I know some of the basics but need as much help as possible. Any info is very much appreciated.

Poonjab

Arachnoking
What basics do you know already and what would you like to know more about?

Aron W

Arachnosquire
Well I know the like smaller enclosures, and how to feed the (at least I do if it’s similar to tarantula feeding)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Hm ok, if it’s labelled as damon variegatus or any damon, it’s probably a damon medius which will need a lot of moiature/humidity for the first couple of months until it molts

Aron W

Arachnosquire
Hm ok, if it’s labelled as damon variegatus or any damon, it’s probably a damon medius which will need a lot of moiature/humidity for the first couple of months until it molts
It’s on Craigslist lol, so it only says Tailless whip scorpion. I will try to attach a screenshot of the Craigslist ad, maybe you can tell from the picture.

Attachments

Aron W

Arachnosquire
What basics do you know already and what would you like to know more about?
Well I know the like smaller enclosures, and how to feed the (at least I do if it’s similar to tarantula feeding)

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
That’s a diadema so not as wet conditions, they can tolerate it if it’s drier. Just provide cork bark and vertical surfaces so that they can molt while hanging upside down.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
I have a Tanzanian tailless whip scorpion. The singular most important part to their setup is that they molt upside down, and therefore need a piece of cork bark or something set on the side. They actually do best in an arboreal enclosure because of this. Substrate doesn’t matter much, because they almost never touch the ground, but you still want something to maintain moderate humidity. Not too humid like a tropical scorp (emperor, Asian forest, etc), but I use a thin layer of peat moss. they get their water in the wild by drinking droplets off cave walls, so it’s nice to spray their preferred piece of cork bark every once and a while and watch them drink. They’re not big eaters, so don’t be surprised if they leave food more often than take it, and they’re also slower predators, so they stalk their prey for a long time before killing it. That means good luck getting a show watching it feed. I’m still waiting to see mine eat. Their “whips” are actually legs, but double as a sort of antenna that senses vibrations in the ground so they can catch their food. They’re pretty fascinating little critters. Here’s mine 😊 Edit: fun fact you may have already known, they are arachnids but they aren’t scorpions or spiders technically 😉

Attachments

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Yours looks like a damon medius, so I would give it more moisture since most are gonna be wc specimens, although yours looks pretty healthy

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It was labeled Damon Diadema when I bought it. It may be a different species though, not sure. I give her a little water daily.

Spoodfood

Feeder of Spoods
Arachnosupporter
It looks like a medius, so maybe try offering it more water/keeping sub wet
The color pattern to me looks more like the diadema, but I haven’t looked into subspecies of them too much. From what I understand they’re relatively the same, with similar care requirements. I do use a thin layer of peat moss/cocoa fiber and keep it moist already. I’m pretty sure most if not all whipscorpions are tropical or need a more humid environment.

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
The color pattern to me looks more like the diadema, but I haven’t looked into subspecies of them too much. From what I understand they’re relatively the same, with similar care requirements. I do use a thin layer of peat moss/cocoa fiber and keep it moist already. I’m pretty sure most if not all whipscorpions are tropical or need a more humid environment.
Damon medius need a lot more moisture than diadema, although looking at yours I think I can see 3 distinct bands, but the pedipalps look more like medius

Albireo Wulfbooper

Arachnoprince
Agreed, the one being purchased by the OP is a diadema, and @ivyalmighty's is a medius.

For a diadema, keep the substrate moist, but not soaked, and add some water if you find that it's spending a lot of time on the substrate instead of on the vertical surfaces. Misting occasionally isn't really necessary if you're keeping the substrate moist, as it will get most of its moisture from food, but it doesn't hurt either, so that's up to you. It will want a tall styrofoam or natural cork bark piece to climb and rest on, and not too much airflow (but obviously it needs some ventilation). Typically they'll eat about once every week or two, but will stop eating (sometimes for long periods) if they're overfed or about to moult. Don't leave prey in there with them for too long, as it stresses them out, and can kill or injure your animal if it interrupts a moult. A simple setup with just substrate and one or two vertical/diagonal surfaces is generally best so they can easily find prey. They do not need a water dish.