Taceas -- question about your purebred pigeons - no flaming, etc I promise

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
Damascene's ... are those the "show" pigeons?

Get any neat colorations from ones at the grain elevators? We've got a flock that fly downtown and there was a nicely colored brown and white one and a few more variations that weren't the typical coloration.

The game bird feed, can you actually find non-medicated? All we can get around here already has antibiotics in it.

(I added that in the title because I came across way wrong in a few previous posts and want to make up for it.)

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The Damascenes were from show-bird stock, I bought them from a hobbyist on EggBid.com and they are banded. I was looking for new blood that didn't include fugly body styles and other features that I consider "deformities". It's just so hard to find birds with the colors I want that aren't funky in body shape. I don't show any of my birds, so some of the quality things I don't think apply to me.

The ones from the grain elevator did have a few pretty color patterns. But I lost quite a few pretty ones from hawk attacks when a pair of hawks teamed up and scared most of my flock off. The ones that came back, most are ho-hum, but I have a pair of speckled ones I adore. They were mated to others, but I've separated them into their own cage for a while hoping for them to hook up. Heh.

I've got a couple of Baldies, white headed birds, and some color variations. But frankly none of these are anywhere near the variety I had as a child.

I've never seen medicated bird food to be honest, I think its a special order. Mine get Purina Mills Game Bird Chow (similar in consistency to chicken laying mash) and the Scratch Grains I get at the local Rural King.

Here's a pic of the Damascene male (pardon the poopy wall, had baby chickens in there previously):

Speckled female:

Speckled male:

FelanMoira

Arachnopeon
I like the speckled ones :)

Most all the game bird feed that is sold here is medicated - we have to special order the non-medicated.

Will have to keep the Purina brand in mind then.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A few times I see white feral pigeons and some black and brown ones, the white are my favorite.

It's pretty amazing when you see a male courting a female his throat expands like a huge balloon and the size of the males throat varies from small to large, the larger the throat, the better chance he has to mate.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is interesting. At first glance it looked like a really purty city pigeon...but are these the correct characteristics of a show pigeon?

-larger eyes

-body and wing color match(light)

I know someone who keeps some pigeons. They are white. I have no idea what breed they are but they are distinctive in that right above their legs they have these long feathers sticking off...almost as long as the flight feathers.

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Yes, the female looks just like the male as does their newest fledgling.

Dtknow, I think its just one of the conformities for this breed. Each breed has its own peculiarities. The only thing I notice difference between this breed and my other "mutts" is the slightly larger eye and shorter beak, otherwise the shape and size of the body is about the same.

Small sampling of the major breeds:
http://members.aol.com/duiven/highlight/highligh.htm

I do know that the other pigeons just "ooh'd" and "aah'd" over the Damascenes when I put them in the general pen for some exercise, the females all flew down and were getting a better look at the male. I've got the Damascenes isolated in their own pen out of sight while they raise their babies.

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
beautiful

The Damascenes are a beautiful breed. Not too far-out in terms of body and feather structures (like some of the show Fantails!), but still very distinctive. I think there are something like 300+ pigeon breeds and color variations and many are being lost due to no one keeping them (and keeping the breeds pure). Good luck with your breeding!

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
The Damascenes second clutch hatched out on Tuesday. :D

IdahoBiteyThing

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
awwww

Haven't seen one of those for a long time! Hard to believe they turn into such beautiful birds! Congrats!

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Awesome pigeons! I have three but mine are basically run of the bridge if you will (found them as chicks on the sidewalk under the underpass)...and one I got from a farm that I am not sure is a breed or not but has a crest like feathery neck..we call him/her the fur coat lol..but those pigeons are gorgeous and perhaps one day I will get into pigeon keeping big time with some real breeds. There are some certainly gorgeous ones to be had and the babies are adorable! Great pics!:clap: