T. Vagans Vs G. Iheringi

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Looking to get a Black T with a red butt. Wondering if any of y’all have had both and could tell me any major reasons to get one over the other. Mainly looking at differences in growth rate, diet, temperament more so than actual care from someone with first hand experience with one or both

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
The latter of the two grows faster and attains a larger adult size, they are also a little prettier IMO.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Was going to get a juvie Vagans for about the same price as an iheringi sling. Pretty torn especially since they grow faster

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Looking to get a Black T with a red butt. Wondering if any of y’all have had both and could tell me any major reasons to get one over the other. Mainly looking at differences in growth rate, diet, temperament more so than actual care from someone with first hand experience with one or both
iheringi is an amazing species, and unlike most others in this genus. Vagans pretty, but not as much in my opinion. The latter is more active too. They have a fast growth rate, vagans maybe when youre 80 it will be an adult.

The latter also has a ravenous appetite.

Actaeon also is the same as iheringi except its color is rust not cherry red.

I will warn you though that as slings they look identical. People sell iheringi when they are really selling actaeon.

You either want a pet rock, or less of a pet rock in your choices.

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T vagans does not grow near as slow as some other speicies in the genus like B albiceps or B hamorii (i know they are diffrent genus). I dunno how slow G iheringi grows, but T vagans grows pretty fast IME

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
Probably go iherengi. In pictures they look almost identical but sounds like in person iheringi definitely looks better and has an almost bluish black look

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Probably go iherengi. In pictures they look almost identical but sounds like in person iheringi definitely looks better and has an almost bluish black look
They don't look anything like each other if one pays attention to details. Vagans are smaller, and much more stocky. Iheringi has a much leaner build and is larger. The orientation of the setae on the abdomen is also different too. You'd have to be blind to confuse 2 adults.

Iheringi is more interesting, esp for a Gram!

If you go with iheringi, DO NOT buy from some random person, buy from a reputable source, due to the reason I mentioned earlier. If you are lucky the person will have pics of the parents.

T vagans does not grow near as slow as some other speicies in the genus like B albiceps or B hamorii (i know they are diffrent genus). I dunno how slow G iheringi grows, but T vagans grows pretty fast IME
Iheringi is a pretty fast grower.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I have both. G. iheringi grow much faster, get larger, are prettier IMO (don't get me wrong, vagans are still nice but I prefer the smokey look of the iheringi), and stay out in the open more.

View media item 68965

I dunno how slow G iheringi grows, but T vagans grows pretty fast IME
G. iheringi grows a lot faster than T. vagans

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes i just said that T vagans grows pretty fast especially compared to other Brachypelmas. I have no experience with G iheringi. They could be more fastgrowing than T vagans, i dont doubt it. Yes they look very nice G iheringi. I have always wanted one, but never got one

basin79

ArachnoGod
I own a G iheringi. Beautiful tarantulas. Confident. My lass is out pretty much all the time.

In the enclosure if it moves it's food. So definitely tongs to remove the water dish even if they're at the other end.

BDD81B02-BA34-4009-8218-E46ECE144C58.gif

C7BA45A1-DA48-4DF3-8FED-EA9472D35195.gif

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had G pulchra. Not the best eater. Not the one i had anyways