T under dish

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Just came home from school and couldn't find Shelob anywhere. For the past 5 days since I got her, she's been compelled to play hide-and-seek with me. But today she really went a bit too far. I took a quick glance at the water dish and, low and behold, some tiny hairy legs poking out. The dish is a pretty heavy object, so if she shifts position or something, could the thing fall on her? :eek: Should I pick up the dish and coax her out, or leave her be?

(You gotta admit, that looks kinda cute) :p
Shelob: "Neener neener can't get me {D;P"

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha, that's a great pic.

I had a similar scare with my little G. aureostriata, back when it had one of those little coconut-shell hides. There was basically no dirt left under the thing, it was held up by webbing and resting against the side of another dirtpile. Given how precarious it looked, I didn't want to take the chance of it falling and cutting my T in half, so I took it out. He wasn't happy, but now he has more room to play in the dirt. :D

Looking at that bowl, it *seems* like it's got good support and a steady foundation. It's not *likely* to fall unless she digs more, I'd say. If you see any indication that she's widening the little chamber under there, I'd move the bowl at once.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
Too late, my brother and his friend just came in here and lifted the water dish off her so that they could "check her out." :rolleyes:

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Too late, my brother and his friend just came in here and lifted the water dish off her so that they could "check her out." :rolleyes:
I would punch anyone who just walked in and started messing around in my animal enclosures, especially with that attitude. I'm just sayin'. :mad: (Granted, a five-foot-nothing girl isn't going to do a lot of damage, but I'd be...uh...really, really mad or something, I dunno. {D )

I hope you didn't let them put the dish back down on top of her. :eek:

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
I would punch anyone who just walked in and started messing around in my animal enclosures, especially with that attitude. I'm just sayin'. :mad: (Granted, a five-foot-nothing girl isn't going to do a lot of damage, but I'd be...uh...really, really mad or something, I dunno. {D )

I hope you didn't let them put the dish back down on top of her. :eek:
Yeah I can't do much. A 5'2" girl compared to a 6' older brother. What a cruel world. xD
I made 'em put the dish somewhere else in the tank. Gotta wait 'til Shelob moves so I can put the dish back where it was. :wall:

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wouldnt say just because youre only 5.2 you could do any damage. im 5.2 and most of my friends are 6 foot but i find a way to hurt them if necasary. my sisters 5 foot 1 and shes vicious.

i had a similar scaer with my b. emilia dug out most of the earth holding it hide up and kept hiding underneath the side. eventually it went away from there for a bit so i filled in all the gaps. its never bothered since.

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
i wouldnt say just because youre only 5.2 you could do any damage. im 5.2 and most of my friends are 6 foot but i find a way to hurt them if necasary. my sisters 5 foot 1 and shes vicious.
Well I'm a bit of a wimp anyways. XD
But I did let him know of my anger and threatened to put Shelob on his face while he's sleeping ('course I'd never actually do that). Think that got the point across. ;)

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like things are shaping up, glad to hear your cute smithi is alright, as for your bro and his friend, I wish it was a OBT, C crawshayi, or a haplo, if it was one of those, they would be regretting to ever bother the T..{D

wollywoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When I first got my Chilean rose I informed my brother (He's nearly two years older, I'm 5.4, he's 6.something) that if he so much as took the lid off her tank I would remove his testicles and he got the point really fast!!! If anyone wandered in my room and started upsetting my tarantulas they would have big problems, I'm very, very protective of my animals.

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When I first got my Chilean rose I informed my brother (He's nearly two years older, I'm 5.4, he's 6.something) that if he so much as took the lid off her tank I would remove his testicles and he got the point really fast!!! If anyone wandered in my room and started upsetting my tarantulas they would have big problems, I'm very, very protective of my animals.
Me too ! It helps that my T's are :-

2 x T. Blondi's :eek:
1 x C. Crawshayi :8o
1 x H.Lividum :wall:
1 x P.Ornata {D
1 x p.murinus :embarrassed:

My bro is coming down from Scotland next week, he used to keep a Smithi about 20 years ago , he tells me he is looking forward to holding some of my T's, he has been out of the hobby a while........{D

Ando55

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Me too ! It helps that my T's are :-

2 x T. Blondi's :eek:
1 x C. Crawshayi :8o
1 x H.Lividum :wall:
1 x P.Ornata {D
1 x p.murinus :embarrassed:

My bro is coming down from Scotland next week, he used to keep a Smithi about 20 years ago , he tells me he is looking forward to holding some of my T's, he has been out of the hobby a while........{D
He will be in for a HUGE surprise if he tries to handle your set of Ts...:razz:; I'm very protective of my Ts as well, i only got T but i care for them dearly. :D

eight leg goth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i told my sis and she said "if you need to, bite him." believe me it hurts

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
nice little B. smithi you have there. Something I like to do with my water dish before I put it in the cage is put something uder it like a stone or brick or anything a T. couldnt move easyly. then I put about 4" of dirt in so if the T would like to make a hide it has lots of digging room. I also like to take the dirt half way up the dish at least . That way the T is less likly to try digging under the dish. Good luck with everything.
scott