T husbandry video

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't have time to list everything that was wrong with that video. You can tell the age group the video was geared toward. And it was not for up and coming hobbyists. More like 3-4th graders.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have no life and my daughter is with her aunt so there for I have the time. How ever I’m sure that I’ll miss some because there were soo many but I only watched it once and do not intend on watching it again. Here we go:

T’s don’t need to eat every day…duhhhh
The Gel and cotton balls…blahhh
Don’t really need a heat pad..no harm on the side though
No sharp cacti/decor in the tank
Life span is way off
Not as much moister needed in a habitat for a G. rosea

I’m sure there were more…

Steph

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hahaha, they show a Chilean Rose and say T's live 3-4 years. Terrible advice, but I got a good laugh.

lunixweb

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a really bad video about T's that I've ever seen in my life :evil:

KaineSoulblade

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't believe he was trying to force feed it by jamming a cricket in its face with tweezers.

'How to piss off a tarantula 101'

It was definately not happy about that, I wanted to see it bite the crap out of his hand.

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can't believe he was trying to force feed it by jamming a cricket in its face with tweezers.

'How to piss off a tarantula 101'

It was definately not happy about that, I wanted to see it bite the crap out of his hand.
Exactly what i thought! lol Idiot... Poor spider having to keep being scooped up in that cricket tub every 2 bloomin minutes! I keep my rosea at room temp anyway, and on dry substrate! "keep it moist" yer, if u want an arboreal rosie!

Idiots..

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
"Don’t really need a heat pad..no harm on the side though"

What if the tarantula owner lived in a cold climate...would a heat pad under the substrate be a good idea in such a scenario?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dragonblade71;923422 What if the tarantula owner lived in a cold climate...would a heat pad under the substrate be a good idea in such a scenario?[/QUOTE said:
Never under the substrate. If you need to provide heat for your T it should be a pad on the side of the tank. To escape heat they instinctively burrow and won't grok the fact that it's even hotter down in the dirt. You'll end up with a cooked tarantula "al dente".

Many T's can live in the same heat and humidity we do (within reason) as long as they have a full water dish. More heat generally just means a more active T.

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What information wasn't wrong????? :eek: :eek: :eek: SCARY to think somebody might see that and think it is good info!!!!! Aside from not leaving live prey in tank near or during molting, i would have to watch video again to see if there was another single piece of correct information!!! :? The mistakes would be too long to list; as long as that video actually!! :eek:

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
To escape heat they instinctively burrow and won't grok the fact that it's even hotter down in the dirt.
I have ask this before but never get an answer. Says who? Have you conducted a scientific investigation into to this instinct? I would just like to see for once one of these myths come true. Yes a heat pad can heat up to 100F. But once it gets through the glass then you are down to 90F. If you apply it according to instructions then 85F.

Do not get me wrong you need to us a thermostat to control the heat pad. But I just want to see one myth come true.

You know how I know this, I tested it. If you place a heat pad under a H lividum cage it will not stay in it burrow, it will leave. If you do this long enough you will stress kill it. But you will not COOK IT. Tarantulas are not just stupid mindless animals that does not learn or understand how to survive. They understand when they are being threaten and will adjust their behavior to match.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have ask this before but never get an answer. Says who? Have you conducted a scientific investigation into to this instinct?
I would say that them burrowing to escape heat is a great assumption. I have a 4" Rufilata and if my room temps get out of control 80+ he will cover himself in dirt. Lower the temps and he’s back to sitting on the side of the container. I am great normally at heating the room as needed and factoring in outisde temps, but sometimes my room will hit 83-84 and thats when I get my burrowing aboreals. Not really a burrow, its more him covering himself in wet substrate.