T emptying water dish

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That small amount of dirt was enough to completely empty the dish? In just 6 hrs? Well, maybe... I don't have that much experience with T's so it's possible. Let me find a pic of the full enclosure.
It's possible, water doesn't take much to move in some ways. I've seen bowls that were full, and drain empty, same size bowl as yours, in less time. And they weren't even covered in webbing.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
@wetwork You are better off using souffle cups than those plastic dishes. Makes cleaning a breeze too since you just swap an old dirty one for a new one.
I agree. I learned this from @poec54 and it has made my process much easier and quicker. They also remove any worries about bacteria and other evils.

You can get a standard size container in quantity from your local source. I use plastic Solo cups. Just don't use the paper based ones because they will bleed into the substrate.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Just to drive the point home that tarantulas hate water dishes... an upturned, partially buried bottlecap.

IMG_1656.JPG

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's possible, water doesn't take much to move in some ways. I've seen bowls that were full, and drain empty, same size bowl as yours, in less time. And they weren't even covered in webbing.
I replaced the dish on top of the substrate (no half burying). So far no wicking. Looks like a combination of substrate and webbing. Learn something new each day.
@wetwork You are better off using souffle cups than those plastic dishes. Makes cleaning a breeze too since you just swap an old dirty one for a new one.
That's a good idea. I saw you post that in another thread. I originally didn't like the look of it but for sake of convenience I may just switch.
I agree. I learned this from @poec54 and it has made my process much easier and quicker. They also remove any worries about bacteria and other evils.
You can get a standard size container in quantity from your local source. I use plastic Solo cups. Just don't use the paper based ones because they will bleed into the substrate.
I'll check out Smart N Final which is my go-to source nearby. Actually, I purchased a magnetic rock dish that holds these little cups. That way I can slide the dish up the side of the enclosure towards the top and won't have to go so far in to change the cups.
Just to drive the point home that tarantulas hate water dishes... an upturned, partially buried bottlecap.
View attachment 231446
Yikes. I expect to have this problem when I switch to the plastic cups, they being so light and all.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Yikes. I expect to have this problem when I switch to the plastic cups, they being so light and all.
Bury them up to the rim, it makes tipping the cup over virtually impossible. The nice part is that you never really need to take it out. If the cup/water gets dirty, just drop a new cup inside of the old one. They nest quite nicely. In my picture, you can see that there are actually four cups in all... the most recent one is a tad smaller, as I ran out of the larger ones.

1486932291032-722560735.jpg

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Bury them up to the rim, it makes tipping the cup over virtually impossible. The nice part is that you never really need to take it out. If the cup/water gets dirty, just drop a new cup inside of the old one. They nest quite nicely. In my picture, you can see that there are actually four cups in all... the most recent one is a tad smaller, as I ran out of the larger ones.
View attachment 231452
So I should use a wider one (but still shallow) for my larger Ts or will the small sized cups suffice for any size T? I don't spray or soak my substrate; I just use a water dish to maintain humidity.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So I should use a wider one (but still shallow) for my larger Ts or will the small sized cups suffice for any size T? I don't spray or soak my substrate; I just use a water dish to maintain humidity.
Is there a Smart & Final near you? It's a restaurant supply store that's somewhat common. It's also a budget T keeper's dream. Enclosures, ice packs, water dishes, you name it. I have these two water dishes from them, and if a spider needs it smaller, then I just use a bottle cap.

14869335326911282760142.jpg

For the absolute largest tarantulas (>7"), I use... these things. Not sure what they're called, but they're for drainage in potted plants. They're sold anywhere plants are sold, and are $0.50 at the most.

14869337168741729440628.jpg 14869337707591905177261.jpg

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Ah the mysterious empty water dish haha, the joys of T ownership!!!!!

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I forgot to mention, I do a double cup. You only need to remove the second cup when you do a replacement. The first cup keeps the substrate snug up against it so that it doesn't slowly rise up out of the substrate each time you refill it.

Last edited:

Jeff23

Arachnolord
A wider dish will provide more humidity, but will also go dry quicker resulting in more refills.

checkmate

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is there a Smart & Final near you? It's a restaurant supply store that's somewhat common. It's also a budget T keeper's dream. Enclosures, ice packs, water dishes, you name it. I have these two water dishes from them, and if a spider needs it smaller, then I just use a bottle cap.
View attachment 231457
For the absolute largest tarantulas (>7"), I use... these things. Not sure what they're called, but they're for drainage in potted plants. They're sold anywhere plants are sold, and are $0.50 at the most.
View attachment 231458 View attachment 231459
I do, actually. I do all my grocery shopping there so I'll be heading over to the plasticware aisle to stock up on my T supplies.
I forgot to mention, I do a double cup. You only need to remove the second cup when you do a replacement. The first cup keeps the substrate snug up against it so that it doesn't slowly rise up out of the substrate each time you refill it.
Will do. I'll try the double cup method for the ones I stick into the substrate. The other 2 dishes will be in a magnetic feeder.
A wider dish will provide more humidity, but will also go dry quicker resulting in more refills.
Noted. My LP's dish is pretty wide but it's only been low once after she tipped it. It's evaporating pretty slowly.

Jerry

Arachnobaron
The only one out of my three tarantulas that doesn't flip bury or fill with substrate is my A Avic and he just poops in it :shifty: