T Cribs v. Primal Fear v. HerpCult

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
Wondering if anyone here has had experience with two or three of these brands, and how they compare. I really like my TC enclosures, but the Primal Fears look to be a bit cheaper apples to apples, and HerpCult has some interesting sizes. I do have one of the Marshall's Arachnids enclosures, which are beautiful as well. Yes, I know you can get away with far cheaper options, but I don't have a zillion Ts and I like the way the nice enclosures look in my office/zoo.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
I have used Tarantula Cribs and HerpCult and they are very close in quality. They have some similar sizes as well as different models. I have more HerpCult as they tend to be more available. I have not heard of Primal Fears.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
I have used Tarantula Cribs and HerpCult and they are very close in quality. They have some similar sizes as well as different models. I have more HerpCult as they tend to be more available. I have not heard of Primal Fears.
Thanks very much. I had not heard of Primal Fear either, but I saw someone post them on FB today and they looked very similar to TC, so I checked them out. Their 8x8x12 terrestrial is around $20 cheaper than TC, and that's similar across the board. Might order a couple to see what's up. They're Canadian, so we may be benefitting from a good exchange rate (their Canadian prices are very similar to TC's US prices).

Stiverson

Arachnopeon
Not worth the money, I don't use any of my herpcult anymore they warp really quick, amac boxes and tall shoes boxes from the container store work way better.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks very much. I had not heard of Primal Fear either, but I saw someone post them on FB today and they looked very similar to TC, so I checked them out. Their 8x8x12 terrestrial is around $20 cheaper than TC, and that's similar across the board. Might order a couple to see what's up. They're Canadian, so we may be benefitting from a good exchange rate (their Canadian prices are very similar to TC's US prices).
Check thickness of acrylic- determines cost and resistance to bowing

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
well herp cult has a shop local to my area and allow walk in buys i forget but they might make custom cages too so i went with them when i bought the few accrylic cages i have but sterilite boxes or deli cups are my preferred choice of cages

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
My only experiences with these brands are harassing the customer service reps for insider information about the company manufacturing process and materials they use.

Good point, I've emailed them to ask and will report back.
Good luck with that! 😂

Share any info you get with me please.

IME working with polycarbonates and glass (I used to silicone my own enclosures for Aquaria) I have found that the thicker the material, the less it is likely to bow over time and forces.

Anything 3/8" or 1/4" or thicker resists warping better. Thin sheets are 100% guaranteed to warp and bow over time.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I love my 8*8*8 TC.. it’s thick and the magnetic top is great. I loath the 8*8*12 slider crib. It’s warped so bad I can barely get it open to feed my T. And she’s only been in there for a couple months. I have herpcult 6*6*8’s and like those. Basically either of those are good up to 8”, after that, go glass. Acrylic just doesn’t seem built for bigger.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
My only experiences with these brands are harassing the customer service reps for insider information about the company manufacturing process and materials they use.

Good luck with that! 😂

Share any info you get with me please.

IME working with polycarbonates and glass (I used to silicone my own enclosures for Aquaria) I have found that the thicker the material, the less it is likely to bow over time and forces.

Anything 3/8" or 1/4" or thicker resists warping better. Thin sheets are 100% guaranteed to warp and bow over time.
I got a response! Primal Fear uses mostly 5mm acrylic, with a few bottoms using 3mm. That seems pretty good. My Marshall's Arachnids enclosure is 5mm and feels really solid, and my smaller TC enclosures are 3 or 4mm (I don't have any of the bigger ones, so I can't compare).

For anyone who is having warp issues with the TC lids, they now sell replacement anti-warp humidity resistant lids, though their stock is currently low.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
I already knew that extruded acrylics are prone to warping from my aquarium days... and all they're saying is "use a thicker cast acrylic, we can sell you one"

BTW "Humidity resistant" just means they stopped using cheaper extruded acrylics (which absorb more moisture and that's what causes the warping) and that they now have switched to a more functional material (cast acrylics because they don't absorb as much water) and want you to pay the difference.

Lameeeeee.

*storms off to rant about shoddy business practices*

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I already knew that extruded acrylics are prone to warping from my aquarium days... and all they're saying is "use a thicker cast acrylic, we can sell you one"

BTW "Humidity resistant" just means they stopped using cheaper extruded acrylics (which absorb more moisture and that's what causes the warping) and that they now have switched to a more functional material (cast acrylics because they don't absorb as much water) and want you to pay the difference.

Lameeeeee.

Very very lame

Stiverson

Arachnopeon
Not worth the money, I don't use any of my herpcult anymore they warp really quick.

Lameeeeee.

Really you could build your own bigger acrylic enclousers for that kind of money 💵

Logan34

Arachnopeon
I have a primal fear enclosure and I really enjoy it! it looks great though as someone in Canada, it is a bit pricey for me.

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Optix-L in 5mm sheets seems perfectly capable of producing these enclosures at a fraction of the cost, considering a tube of aquarium silicone is like $6.

I'm in the middle of figuring out a supplier for high quality polycarbonates to ask for samples, I'll let you all know how that goes when it's done.

Poffypoffa

Arachnosquire
After the holiday (US) I am going to order an enclosure from HerpCult and Primal Fear, and I will write back with a detailed comparison between those, the TCs and the Marshall's Arachnids for everyone. Can never have too many empty enclosures, never know what you'll find at the next reptile show... 😁

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I like my TC and other acrylic enclosures, especially my medium treehouse switch, but the fact is they simply aren't going to last like glass. So I minimize, 1 spider per species gets a nice enclosures all the way up from a sling, so I can watch and film. All my adult enclosures are glass though. Raising only a few at a time allows the re-use of the acrylic ones as long as they last, and everyone else gets deli cups and food storage.

DustyD

Arachnoknight
Really you could build your own bigger acrylic enclousers for that kind of money 💵
But that is assuming you have the equipment, space, time, interest in doing that. If you live in an apartment it might be difficult to cut, glue, secure and dry them in a small space. What about tiny shards of acrylic getting into the air. For the right person making your own would work. So would making your own from everyday acrylic containers.

To each their own.