T.blondi!!!!!!

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
my new spider is a T.blondi!!!! i cant wait untill it comes!!!!!!!!!
i need some info, pics, temper, ect!!!!

James

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
James,
First off..CONGRATS!!!!

Ok, I'll give you my insight. I got my blondi from Kelly, as well. I'm waiting to see if mine is male or female, as we speak. First off.

* High humidity. Keep the substrate moist. BUT keep a watchful eye out for any mold forming. It will be white fuzzies. If not, it will attack your t.
* A little word to the wise; at that size, they move blindingly fast. Move carefully around he/she, and you will be fine.
*They are literally bottomless pits at this age. If your is the same size as mine was when I got it, it should be able to take adults. Mine took 4 a week. But, keep an eye out.

Mine was a pretty uneventful raising, except for the time Kaja got trapped under his/her log. It dented the cephalothorax. Kaja forced a molt 3 days later, and was fine.

Hope this helps...
Gillian

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my T. blondi in a critter keeper with a deep substrate of peat moss with a layer of sphagnum moss over it and a partially buried piece of cork bark for the hide.

They're a little skittish when they're young, but tend to calm down over time. I've managed to get each one that I've ever owned to accept pre-killed food or beef heart from a pair of hemostats.

They are total piggies and will eat almost anything you give them.

One of my favorite species, they're a lot of fun and worth the challenge of raising them. Good luck!

Theraphosa

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey Gillian,
after your Blondi molted...how long was it until you get to feed your Blondi again? My Blondi is about 1.5 inches and I don't know when it's going to molt.. I hope soon.. here's a picture of it.. what a fat pig.... :)

Attachments

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
TL,
As for knowing when it molts, you'll notice it going off its feed, as well as getting a bit sluggish. With mine, I wait around 3 days, to give his/her dagger-like fangs a chance to harden.

Peace,
Gillian

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

thanks guys, i have a few other questions-
1. Is 75 deg. a good enough temp and humidity?
2. How deep shoud the substrate be?

James

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep all of my spiders in the high 70s to mid 80s, but I think there are some people on the forum who keep them at lower temperatures. I'm sure you'll get some opinions on that issue.

My general rule of thumb is to fill the enclosure at least 2/3 full of substrate to prevent injuries if the spider falls. Baby T. blondis will do some climbing, especially when put into a new cage. Keep that in mind when you go to do cage maintenance, give a peek around the lid to make sure they aren't hanging around up there before you open it. They're pretty fast little things.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When you have a lot of substrate, the humidity is also easier to keep up. If you only have a thin layer it dries out quicker, and you have to mist more often.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi

is a goliath pinkfoot the same as a birdeater?
what decorations should i use for my T?

thanks,
James

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Our avatar photo is of our adult male T. blondi. I will agree that deep substrate is a good idea. Ours always dug deep and elaborate burrows. We got him as a 2 inch spiderling in Feb. 2000 and he molted as a mature male Aug. 2002. Needless to say....they grow FAST. Gillian was right, they can eat and eat. I think 75 degrees is a good temp to keep it. We had a problem with ants trying to build a nest in our T. blondi's enclosure last winter because we were using a heat source. We were afraid that he would get too cold, but he has done fine without the heat ever since. All we have is a large waterdish in one corner and one of our cave-rocks in the other. We also have a smaller waterdish on top of his rock just to keep humidiy up. He always walks in the big waterdish, tracking substrate in and water out, so this is a sort of back up.

This is him in a threat posture recently.

Attachments

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
should i put a lamp over my blondi?
I don't think that is a good idea, a lamp can dry out an enclosure pretty fast, and with the blondi being a high-humidity species, that could spell disaster... I think a heat pad at the side of the tank would work better.
greetz,
Joost