T. blondi

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought a juvenile, about 3", last night. I'm a some what expierenced T. keeper but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or comments? How about substrate, humidity, temperature? I paid $90 and was wondering if that was a fair price. Thanks in advance for any response.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That seems way overly priced to me. I bought mine as a juvenile and she was 40 dollars CANADIAN.

chaset

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Price

Ive only seen prices in the 150 to 200 range cdn

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All depends

I think the price all depends on where you bought it. If you bought it from an internet dealer, that seems a bit over priced. I picked up 2 at about that size a little over a year ago for like $35 a piece. Add the $20 shipping and you're looking at $45 a piece.

As for care requirements, that seems to be a topic of debate. I keep mine on peat/potting soil at about 80 degrees (F) and high humidity. Both of mine had molting problems. One died as a result and the other lost 3 legs in its first molt. Then it regenerated the 3 lost limbs in the next molt and it just recently molted again w/o difficulties. So, I don't know that my methods are necessarily correct. I was able to determine it was a male from the last molt. Pics are posted on previous threads, if you're interested.

Botar

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I bought two for $35.00 from Petcenter. No problems. The oldest is now about 7 inches and was two inches last February. I do keep the substraight a little damper than my other t's. They eat alot but keep a full water dish and ground damp enough to change color (coconut fiber) and wetter when about to molt. I keep both tanks on a heating pad at 80 degrees.

Bob

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I could go get a whole bunch of jeveniles in Kelowna BC right now at their Exotics store for 40 dollars a piece.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: Wow!

Originally posted by TarantulaMan
I can get one for $11.99 at the pet shop I go to in Illinois
A T. Blondi??? How big? Are you sure? Is the store reputable? That'd almost be worth a trip to Illinois to buy a few blondis.

Botar

King_Looey

Arachnoprimate
Old Timer
I should get a blondis at monday. £30 sterling english m9oney.

9 so far anf going. lol.

TarantulaMan

Banned
yep

yea a goliath birdeater and I'm sure cause its a place called animal island that sells tarantulas cheap and lots of other stuff.;)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Please post the address for this place... I may have to make a road trip.

Botar

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Sounds like someone has a male goliath there. Let me know when he matures.
I have 6 breedable females at this time.

Greg

<<I bought two for $35.00 from Petcenter. No problems. The oldest is now about 7 inches and was two inches last February. I do keep the substraight a little damper than my other t's. They eat alot but keep a full water dish and ground damp enough to change color (coconut fiber) and wetter when about to molt. I keep both tanks on a heating pad at 80 degrees.

Bob>>

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Dasgre0g

Greg
Oh that would be nice. I'll be in touch as soon as I see the boxing gloves.

Botar

U

Unregistered

i need a pic of a t. blondi so i can try to compare to what i have. anyone have any?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe you have to register to see the photos. Once registered go to the Tarantula forum and do a search for "blondi". I've posted a couple of different pics as have many other people. If that doesn't work for you, e-mail me and I'll send a pic to you.

Botar

TarantulaMan

Banned
the number

here's the number to call them to make sure that they have one so u dont be disappointed (708-293-0600)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: the number

Originally posted by TarantulaMan
here's the number to call them to make sure that they have one so u dont be disappointed (708-293-0600)
Thank you!

Botar

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'd say, proceed with caution...

This sounds a little absurdly underpriced to me. Either the pet store has really screwed up and don't know the value what they have (happens all the time), or they're selling something else (possibly unknowingly) as T. blondi (also happens all the time). Does the store include the latin name, or do they just call it "goliath bird eater"? Common names, especially as applied by pet stores, are less than reliable. For example, the might be selling Lasiodora parahybana, annother big, impressive, but generally much less expensive spider (at least as slings).

Wade

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

Greg

Hey Greg,
It is a male for sure. It is growing WAY faster than my female. I will post when he is ready to date.

Bob