T. Blondi V.S L. Parahybana

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Washout said:
I like T. blondi a lot more personally. Faster grower and much better appearance. How hard is each species to breed? Are T. blondi's difficult?

I never owned a T.Blondi but my P.Cancerides & L.parahybana were grew faster than any other T I've kept. Both seemed to double in size with each molt and they usually molted every month.

Jasonic

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You'll get an equal rush out of each spider IMHO. As adults they look different, but both are large impressive spiders that aren't affraid to eat:) The juvenile Blondi are amazing to watch, they are fast big and eat like crazy. Parahybanas are certainly easier to take care of however, and my monster stalky 9"+ female can be a total sweetheart...to things that arent food:)

If your looking for a well started Blondi, Chris over at Krazy8sinvertebrates has some nice sized juvies for sale. He's a great guy to deal with to. They are almost at a 3" leg span I hear :}

Goodluck!

-j

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Washout said:
I like T. blondi a lot more personally. Faster grower and much better appearance. How hard is each species to breed? Are T. blondi's difficult?

Blondi arent hard to breed...I think the hard part comes with the egg sack. I popped in my male and the female came out and chased him around making him mate with her over and over til he finally fled to his burrow and webbed it shut!! He stayed in there for a week! {D She lurked outside his burrow the whole time. Poor guy. He finally came out and she pestered him again. Now theyre both in their respective burrows resting I supose...lol Crazy woman.

Justin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have made up my mind, Im going to get one T. Blondi and three L. Parahybana.

dangerprone69

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an L. parahybana sling which I purchased at the last Hamburg, PA show. This little shows no fear whatsoever, I can't wait for it to get bigger! It's only about 1" or so, and I've seen it tackle crickets over half it's size.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
[ I have encountered some other issues with blondis : on more than one occasion I have had an adult lose both of its fangs.

when your blondi loose its fang, did she lived? how did u feed her? how common does this happen?

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had it happen twice on two separate adults and have heard of it happening before (I think there may have been posts on it here before). I tried different ways of feeding them, namely prekilling the crickets and mushing them up and sometimes it would work and other times it wouldn't. Because they were adults there was just too much time between moults and they ended up dying (I would assume from lack of nourishment). If anyone else has any insight into this I would love to hear about it! The other problem I mentioned, just dying for no apparent reason after a moult has also been covered in the posts so I believe that that is also a common occurance. Both problems are certainly frustrating! :wall:

SlimJ87D

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought my blondi from chris. he has a nice pinkfoot too, I'll show you a pic

harrymaculata

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i love my parahybana ive had it for three months or so and in that time its moutled twice its started of at 21/2 inches moulted to 31/2 and is now 51/2, if there well fed they grow really fast. mine is so quirkey it has this ivy leaf that it carrys around its tank with it then places it down and sits on it. she then puts it back where it was covered in web (been doing that with different tank furnishings for a few weeks). shes just moved in to a larger tank so shes making some alterations. never had a blondi so an't comment. :)