T. blondi Sperm Web

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
We have caught our mature male T. blondi in the act of making a sperm web once before, but this time he was nice enough to let us take a picture!! I love the way his palpal bulb is glistening for the picture!! I thought this would be useful to those who have never seen a male with a sperm web. I just wish we had been able to get a shot of him when he was underneath the web adding the sperm. In this shot he is carefully wiping the sperm from the web onto his pedipalps.

-Jill

Attachments

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
Cool pic

Hey man, nice pic...

BTW, is that one of those hand carved rock hides that I've seen you advertising around? They look pretty sweet, man...

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, sure is. My husband is happy you noticed. They take to them very quickly.

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Jill,

sorry for assuming you were a man... I make that mistake every once in awhile... automatically assuming things. I went back up and saw that you signed your name, that should have been my first clue, eh? :) I'll take the extra .5 seconds to read the name next time, I promise... :)

BTW, I'll be keeping you in mind if and when I ever acquire any T's...

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mr. Internet- No offense taken :) My husband is the one that makes the burrows and water dishes so he is happy when someone takes notice of them.

Tarantula Lover- We are planning on sending him and 2 of our other males to John Hoke sometime next week. It is a little hard since we raised him from a 1 inch spiderling to this massive adult. He said this is not their normal mating season, but he will give it a shot. I think he is a nice male specimen and hope his females agree.

-Jill

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
I didn't know that tarantula mating "seasons" were ever observed in captivity? I didn't know that breeders considered them at all... does the season really affect the outcome of breeding/fertility that much?

arachnopunks

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
I didn't know that tarantula mating "seasons" were ever observed in captivity? I didn't know that breeders considered them at all... does the season really affect the outcome of breeding/fertility that much?
I really don't know. It seems like it might make SOME difference. I think it could depend on if the spiders are WC or CB. If they are WC, how long they have been in captivity might play a part. Also, I am now wondering if captive temperatures can be altered to trick the spiders into thinking it is breeding time much like the overwintering of scorpions and anole that I have been reading about. It is a good question. One for which I seem to have more questions than answers. I am sure someone here can clear it up for us.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

i was reading Tarantulas and other arachnids and it said mating season was around november to october, i dont understand why it really matters if it is bred captive, cause it is not like it matters?

James

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Mister Internet
It can with some species. Brachys, for instance, tend to mate fall, produce eggsacs in spring. And if John Hoke says it, you can bet he has some experience to back it up.

I sure wish I had gotten hold of a nice T. blondi male like the one in the picture a month or two ago! My largest female is giving every indication that she's about to make an eggsac, but since she hasn't been mated since her last molt it will be an infertile one :(

Joy

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
November to October? That would be an 11 month mating season. Keep in mind, the seasons in the southern hemisphere are opposite of that in the northern hemisphere.

Botar

Dasgre0g

Arachnopeon
Originally posted by arachnopunks
Mr. Internet- No offense taken :) My husband is the one that makes the burrows and water dishes so he is happy when someone takes notice of them.

Tarantula Lover- We are planning on sending him and 2 of our other males to John Hoke sometime next week. It is a little hard since we raised him from a 1 inch spiderling to this massive adult. He said this is not their normal mating season, but he will give it a shot. I think he is a nice male specimen and hope his females agree.

-Jill

After they have a poke at Hoke's female(no I am not a professional rapper) ,I'd love to have a shot at them. I have 4 females that are ready to go.