T. Blondi (not sure if this is a repeat thread)

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm considering getting a blondi soon, and i've heard lots of bad rap on them lately... Like molting problems and them being finicky about humidity and things like that. The place that I'm ordering from keeps them in big containers and they don't have very many molting problems at all. Other than urticating hairs and an immense spider, what other special needs does this T have? Has anyone had molting problems with theirs?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
mine hasnt molted yet, i just got her aweek ago, but my fingers will remain crossed when she does. a couple days back i read a thread where someone said one of his blondis lost 3 legs in a molt, another lost one.:?

Alonso99

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Torubling molts

I see sounds like a pain in the gonads if you have to cross your fingers come molt time.

krucz36

Chelcirator
Old Timer
id on't have a blondi, but i've had haplopelma lose legs in a molt, and brachypelma. not a big deal, really. at least they're not getting eaten while molting, and a couple more molts will clear up the lost leg in no time.
from what i've read, it's mainly a moisture issue when it comes to legs getting lost. but of course, that could be wrong.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I had a T Blondi and it was great. It never had molting problems or anything. It was very fast though and it had a temper. But that is what you get when you buy a meanie.

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
mine hasnt molted yet, i just got her aweek ago, but my fingers will remain crossed when she does. a couple days back i read a thread where someone said one of his blondis lost 3 legs in a molt, another lost one.:?
Yeah, that's the post I was referring to. And also I have read that it's mostly due to moisture... How do your T's manage to get around with deformed legs?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That was my post. I bought two T. blondi slings over a year ago at about 2". I lost one during a bad molt and then the second lost 3 legs in it's first molt. I was a bit inexperienced for that species at the time. I think it was a humidity issue, but I didn't have the cages heated either, so it was sitting at about 70 F. I have since upped the humidity and heat and the remaining blondi has molted two more times w/o problems... it is an immature male and somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7". It regenerated the lost limbs during the next molt. I've posted a few pictures of it, if you're interested.

In spite of the problems I had with it, I would recommend a T. blondi. I believe the problems were "operator error".

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by Botar
That was my post. I bought two T. blondi slings over a year ago at about 2". I lost one during a bad molt and then the second lost 3 legs in it's first molt. I was a bit inexperienced for that species at the time. I think it was a humidity issue, but I didn't have the cages heated either, so it was sitting at about 70 F. I have since upped the humidity and heat and the remaining blondi has molted two more times w/o problems... it is an immature male and somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7". It regenerated the lost limbs during the next molt. I've posted a few pictures of it, if you're interested.

In spite of the problems I had with it, I would recommend a T. blondi. I believe the problems were "operator error".

Botar
I guess that would most certainly explain things. Yeah, I would sure like to have a look at the pics that you speak of. I should be getting a sub adult female soon. Perhaps if by the time she is mature (the one I'm getting is currently 8"), and if you haven't done so already, would you consider a 50/50 split (by the time this comes around I should have the hang of keeping this species succesfully.)?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I lost my T blondi to a bad molt. Its abdomen collasped and it died. Not sure what the cause was but I stay away from T. blondi. Like Botar said "operator error" may have been the key, though, I'm not sure.