T.blondi needs a glass tank?

wollywoo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok, I don't have a T.blondi (Yet, its on my very large list!) But I have been told they need a glass tank or they will get out. Now this person has given me 'advice' before that has been very wrong. I'm just curious to whether they do need glass tanks or if a simple plastic one will do? :?

kyrga

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard of some Ts being able to chew through things, so it sounds like a good idea to me. Glass isn't that expensive, you can get a 10 gal for under 10 bucks.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
big tarantulas need a secure cage. regardless of how you make it secure.

a big blondi can probably torque something like 10-50 foot lbs (i'm having a hard time envisioning the right number. sorry) and straight lift something like 3-10 lbs so they are quite powerful for a bug.

they can "chew" holes through the smaller gauge screen lids, btw

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have mine in a plastic shoe box type setup. Tons of floor space. She loves it. But I have to keep something on top of the lid because I am pretty sure she can get that lid off if there was not something there. There is a lot they can do sometimes to escape if they want to. So just take precautions and you should be fine.

they can "chew" holes through the smaller gauge screen lids, btw
Heck ya they can. I came home one day right in the middle of her escape plan and wow, she mangled that mesh lid top. Chewed the heck out of it systematically till eventually she could have gotten free.

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
hehe, that's why i have glass tanks with lass sliding doors and metal ventilation grills for all my adults. ok, it's a bit more expensive, but i never had an escape. for a blondi, i'd say: better safe than sorry.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
ive always kept my blondies in large plastic shoeboxes aswell,w/snap tight lids and never a problem.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Like the others have said, just get something secure for it, not necessarily glass. You can have plastic or glass, either will be fine.

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Like the others have said, just get something secure for it, not necessarily glass. You can have plastic or glass, either will be fine.
i agree with all that novak said and good luck with it %%% phil