T. blondi molt!

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Wow! What a surprise was waiting for me today :D I awoke to find that my T. blondi molted last night! She's getting HUGE now. A mear 1" when I got her, she's now pushing 5-6" (I haven't gotten the best look at her yet). She seems to be rivaling my curlyhairs in size, now. Here's a picture of her peeking out of her burrow when I stole the molt from her.

-Bryan

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Every time I look at a molting spider I'm amazed at how big the new cephalothorax and legs are compared to the old skin, you almost can't imagine that it would fit! Molting Rules!
Joost

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
And a photo of the end of the molt (this is a B. smithi sling by the way)

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I always look forward to my T. blondi molts. I got one about 2 inches in legspan and it is like yours, up to about 6-7 now. Just last night another little 2 incher molted and seems to be pushing 3 in. now.

Adrian

Bearacuda42

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
GOLIATH,,

;P ;P =D Well , wait till yours gets as big as mine are and when they are that size very impressive indeed,, i have 2 that are around the 12" size and one thats about 11",,, two females and one male.... hehehe!!! ;P ;P :}

whoami?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't know if I CAN wait until mine gets that big. My T. blondi just molted This morning, and it's STILL small. It was 2" when I got it 1.5 months ago, and now it's a little bigger than 3". On the one hand, that's a 50% increase in length, which IS rather impressive. On the other hand, 3" isn't nearly big enough.

Anyway, I was just sitting down to watch a movie when I saw that my blondi's abdomen was leaking. Thinking it was about to molt, I pretty much soaked the tank so that the humidity would be high enough. Checked on it at 1:00 AM and not five seconds later, I saw it roll over onto its back. Sat up and watched it for another hour (even though I was SLEEPY), but nothing happened and I decided to go to sleep. I stirred from my rest at 6:00 AM and decided to get up to see how the molt went.

Blondi's molt ALMOST went well, but I had to help it out a bit. The thing had bits of old "skin" stuck to its abdomen. Since I didn't want thenm to harden there, I found a pair of tweezers and (carefully) pulled the old pieces of skin off.

All in all, everything went pretty well. But I hope that the next molt goes a bit better, since I might not be around to help it out next time.

On a side note, my cat died today, so I've got to look for a new pet. Right now it's a toss-up between a savanna monitor or a pair of bearded dragons. I'm kind of leaning towards the dragons, since they don't get as big. On the other hand, if I decide to get a breeding pair of dragons, I imagine that the two of them will need more space than a single savanna monitor. But now I'm just getting WAY off topic.