T.b or not T.b

VENOMdeBEEVER

Arachnopeon
So my T guy has 2 Burgandy T.blondis captive bred for a good price but im not sure if I want a T.blondi. My reason for not wanting T.blondis is cause I know there are other Ts out there that are just as big and even more pretty and easier to take care of. What im asking you guys if its worth it? Please let me know about youre T.blondi. How are there attitudes. Are their hairs really as bad as the T bible says they are? The T keepers guide make the Therapossa genus sound horrifying, ugly, and really hard to take care of. I got my 1st T over a year ago and have had no problems and many molts thanks to you guys.:?:D so if I do decide to get them they will be in good hands. Also how rare are the burgandy T.blondis? Thank you and feel free to add pics if you want.

Scorpendra

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Burgundies are now a different species, named Theraphosa stirmi :)

Ts like them are considered higher-maintenance, but it's really just a matter of keeping things moist and warm. The hairs aren't exactly fun, but it's not like you're in any kind of danger. They're definitely a step up from G. rosea and B. smithi, but it's your call in the end. If you don't think it's for you, then don't get it.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.apophysis and L.parahybana rank up there pretty darn close, imo.
Not quite.

You can have an Apophysis quite close or with the same leg span, but its nowere near a Theraphosa spinipes or blondi in terms of bulkyness, thickness, body size. Nothing remotely close.

With Parahybana happens kind of the same. They get bulky and big, but nothing has the proportions of a Theraphosa blondi/spinipes.

Quelicera size, carpace,thickness, "strenght"...

You dont get to see it till you have a 10" Theraphosa blondi female in front of you.

Spidershane1

Arachnoknight
Well back to original question lol.....

I say go for it. That arent really that hard hard to keep. Having the hardest T to keep is like being the smartest kid on the short bus...its still not that hard. T blondis/stirmis just need higher humitity than alot of species, a bit larger of a cage = easy. As far as hairs go, I guess some people get pretty irritated, but Vagans hairs effect me alot worse than T blondi. It's different from person to person, but I have always thought that being itchy was a fair trade off for having cool T's. Theraphosa are'nt really all that agressive(the ones I've seen anyway), but more flighty than anything. I wouldnt exactly call them a docile species, but they are far from being terrors. The personality kinda remindes me of N chromatus, A genics, LPs, etc.
Just the fact that you are here researching tells me that you are more than ready for keeping this species. Now breeding might be a different story....
Good luck & happy trails

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
If you have the spare cash, and a tank fit for it I'd say go for it. I've got a perfect tank for one (currently houseing a Rosea...i know wasted space =P ) but would dive any minute.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I raised a T. sp. burgundy sling into a juvie this year before selling him. I didnt have any problems with mine. I kept the little guy in a climate control box i build for all my slings. I kept his substrate swampy. The water constantly built up on the glass. I powerfed mine as much as it could handle.

IMO Keeping it hot, humid, and moist is all you can do. Imagine how humid it is in there natural habitat, its about as tropical as it can get. I have seen alot of people here fail at raising Theraphosa from slings. Not sure if its the way they are kept or just bad luck.

I kept my temps 80 at night 85 during the day with limited/proper ventilation to acheive max humidity.