T. albo ? B. albo

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
Today I Stopped in one of Local Pet Slops ( Not a Typo I just think they Can do Better) and bought what they Labeled a Brachypelma albopilosum. Ive gotten several Ts from here that were not what they said they were from this place ( blondi vrs stirmi etc) Can anyone tell me the new classifications and how to tell the Difference or Point me to a Thread here that does. I dont have a pic yet, just got it today and preffer to leave it alone for at least a few days to to let it "Relax" Thanks

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
Today I Stopped in one of Local Pet Slops ( Not a Typo I just think they Can do Better) and bought what they Labeled a Brachypelma albopilosum. Ive gotten several Ts from here that were not what they said they were from this place ( blondi vrs stirmi etc) Can anyone tell me the new classifications and how to tell the Difference or Point me to a Thread here that does. I dont have a pic yet, just got it today and preffer to leave it alone for at least a few days to to let it "Relax" Thanks
they were re classified, along with a few others, and are no longer Brachypelma. They are now Tlitlocatl, and no longer Brachypelma.
T. albopilosus
T. sabulosus
T. schroederi
T. verdezi
T. kahlenbergi
T. vagans
T. epicureanus

so, no more B. albo

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
they were re classified, along with a few others, and are no longer Brachypelma. They are now Tlitlocatl, and no longer Brachypelma.
T. albopilosus
T. sabulosus
T. schroederi
T. verdezi
T. kahlenbergi
T. vagans
T. epicureanus

so, no more B. albo
Ok, Thanks . But I think I may have asked the Wrong Question. I thought B. albo still existed, Thanks for setting me straight on that... But What I am trying to find out is Nicaraguan / Costa Rican , Honduran etc. Are they all T. albo and can you tell where they are from.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nic etc for now are same species.

HOWEVER, they look different. Nics setae is longer and more curly and silver.

My Honduran is chocolate brown, short curled setae and not silver

many have posted Nics

Do NOT breed different localities together because maybe genomics will be done and discover they are different or a subspecies
Nobody wants mutts.

F1tarantula

Arachnopeon
Ok, Thanks . But I think I may have asked the Wrong Question. I thought B. albo still existed, Thanks for setting me straight on that... But What I am trying to find out is Nicaraguan / Costa Rican , Honduran etc. Are they all T. albo and can you tell where they are from.
Are you confusing yourself with B albiceps? B albo (name) don’t exist, anyway the differences are said above by Viper.

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
Are you confusing yourself with B albiceps? B albo (name) don’t exist, anyway the differences are said above by Viper.
Im often confused... I think Brachypelma albopilosum used to exist and is now gone .. I think

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
no more B. albopilosum, all are now T. albopilosus (finishes different because of Genus name, latin stuff)
@ present they are broken into 3 categories
Honduran
Nicaraguan
Pet Trade / Hobby

The Hobby versions exist because people were breeding the localities and mixing stock.

As @viper69 said
Nicaraguan - Longer, curlier setae (hair) and an almost silver appearance
Honduran - shorter brown setae (hair)

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Some breeders with import license sell their tarantulas with the same scientific name they were imported as.

It's not impossible that they were imported as Brachypelma albopilosum. Nor does it 100% mean that where you saw them for sale that they came to them under the old scientific name and that's what they went with. You won't know until you ask them.

In the scientific world the species albopilosum was changed to albopilosus. It was also moved to the genus Tliltocatl from Brachypelma.

Nicaraguan is the true clean genetic form. Honduran has a muddy past supposedly bred with other genus/species.

I have both, love both but the Nicaraguan is definitely the looker.

Sorry had a slow moment at work so posted this.

TJ 68

Arachnopeon
Some breeders with import license sell their tarantulas with the same scientific name they were imported as.

It's not impossible that they were imported as Brachypelma albopilosum. Nor does it 100% mean that where you saw them for sale that they came to them under the old scientific name and that's what they went with. You won't know until you ask them.

In the scientific world the species albopilosum was changed to albopilosus. It was also moved to the genus Tliltocatl from Brachypelma.

Nicaraguan is the true clean genetic form. Honduran has a muddy past supposedly bred with other genus/species.

I have both, love both but the Nicaraguan is definitely the looker.

Sorry had a slow moment at work so posted this.
Thanks , I actually Knew about the genus change long ago But, Came across a website that said Nic and Hondu were split into separate genera ( Tliltocatl and Brachypelma respectively ) It seemed to make sense So I looked for confirmation here and now I just feel stupid. ( They would Obviously split the species not the Genus) I Did however get a lot of help identifying the variants by setae and color. ** Thanks to Everyone ** I believe I have always Gotten Hondurans including My recent purchase, I Agree the Nicaraguans Look better and will definitely find one. As for this One... I have Never Named a T but I think Ill call this one Muddy (or Mutty)

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
Thanks , I actually Knew about the genus change long ago But, Came across a website that said Nic and Hondu were split into separate genera ( Tliltocatl and Brachypelma respectively ) It seemed to make sense So I looked for confirmation here and now I just feel stupid. ( They would Obviously split the species not the Genus) I Did however get a lot of help identifying the variants by setae and color. ** Thanks to Everyone ** I believe I have always Gotten Hondurans including My recent purchase, I Agree the Nicaraguans Look better and will definitely find one. As for this One... I have Never Named a T but I think Ill call this one Muddy (or Mutty)
Don't ever feel stupid. I respect and admire the fact you had the courage to post a question. This is what Arachnoboards is all about, helping each other. No such thing as a stupid question it's how we learn.

I think I hold 1st place for some truly off the wall questions in the past 🤣

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Yes it changed form Brachypelma albopilosoum to Tlitocatl albopilosus. I would love to get one of the Nicaraguan T. albopilosus myself!