Survey Says

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I know most of you have already read this, but here I go again:

I am doing two surveys right now for the AZA (American Zoological Association). One is to find out what tarantulas are kept by zoos, for what purposes, etc. The other is to find out what species are being kept privately, and how you all feel about the display and educational potential of the species you keep. The zoos are responding like crazy, but I need more hobbyist responses!

Results will be shared with all participants, with zoos all over the US and Canada, and will be published as well.

If you'd like to participate, email me at tarantulasurvey@hotmail.com and let me know if you want the survey emailed to you as a Word document or snail mailed to you.

To those who have said they'd fill out surveys but haven't returned them yet: please don't forget about me!

To all those who have already filled out and returned surveys, you have my unending gratitude!

Thanks everybody--
Joanie

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't mean to sound suspicious, but what exactly is the data going to be used for?

bill

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by invertepet
I don't mean to sound suspicious, but what exactly is the data going to be used for?
One is to find out what tarantulas are kept by zoos, for what purposes, etc. The other is to find out what species are being kept privately, and how you all feel about the display and educational potential of the species you keep.

Says about all, doesn't it?

Dennis

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I took this survey a few months ago Bill,

Basically, they just want your views on handling and keeping the various species you have, and how they rate for display purposes.

Bill

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What the data will be used for:

Hobbyist data will be used to compile some tarantula advisory lists for smaller and medium-sized zoos. Such as "here are the species that are generally rated as great display animals" or "here are some species that are generally rated as good species to handle" or, for the larger, more experienced zoos, "here are some species no one seems to be breeding, maybe you can give it a try".

I know all individual spiders are different, and that will be noted to the zoos as well, but this is a survey, I'm dealing in generalizations.

You would not BELIEVE the amount of zoos that have, as their invertebrate collection, the following: a colony of hissing roaches, and two rosehair tarantulas. I believe zoos can and should do better, and since I work in the field, I'm trying to do my part to change things.

Nothing weird or suspicious will be done with the data. I have no government connections, I have nothing to do with CITES, I'm not a breeder. The survey is supported by the American Zoological Association, but I'm doing it all myself. There is no mysterious "they", there's just me.

Any more questions, please ask!
Thanks
Joanie

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Excellent, Joanie. Thanks --- That was exactly what I was curious to know. I'll help any way I can.

I tend to be a bit wary in the case of surveys and census takings since the government lately seems bent on curtailing any and all exotic animal possession and sales. I'm sure you understand. :D

Keep up the great work!

bill

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I completely understand, and I appreciate your questioning the survey. Your question let me ramble for awhile, and also bumped this message up again! :D

Thanks!
Joanie

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just bumping this message up....

Just wanted to get this message up to the top of the boards again.

This is the last call for surveys!! Last call!!

Any questions, please email me. Thanks!

Joanie

Joanie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, absolute last call and I will quit bothering you nice people!!! If you want to participate, do it now!! And a million thanks to all who have. :)

Joanie