Surprise Nephila eggsack!

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Nephila clavipes made an eggsack last night, it's quite big, with a bundle of eggs in the middle (about 1/2" diameter) and silk loosely around it (about 2"diameter). I'm quite taken by surprise by this, and it brings up a couple of questions:

The first and most important: Could it be fertile? (bought her a month ago (20-10), don't know if it's WC). I haven't mated her, but I guess this could have happened before.

This brings the second question up: how can I see if it's fertile. I read about the argiope eggsack browning here, is there a similar thing for Nephila?

Third: how long does it take for the eggs to hatch? Because the Nephila is loose in my room, I want to take the eggsack away before it hatches, don't want hundreds (see question four) of nephila spiderlings loose in my bedroom...

Fourth: How many young can a Nephila produce?

This were all the questions I could think of this moment, sure there will follow more....
Thanx,
Joost

david

Arachnopeon
nephila sling

well done spiders can retain sperm for a long time and produce an egg sack when conditions are right.

i would love to have some of your spider lings when they hatch?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nephila Eggsac

It is very possible that it is fertile as many orb-web spiders produce their eggs in the fall. The egg sac will brown in the Nephila genus. The hatching periods are quite wide with orb-webs, it is possible that they may hatch soon or possibly not even until the following spring. Nephila can produce many young, up to several hundred. Congrats on the eggsac.

Alex S.

david

Arachnopeon
nephila sling

My nephila from west africa,species unknown, haslaid two egg cases,recentlyshe spans a mans hands and her thorax is 2=cmwhite with red banding.

david

Arachnopeon
slings

Hello again good people,it appears to be the time of producing in my spiders as i now have 2 west african argiope slings,plus two ,slings from an orb from italy species unknown,Happy times.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a bit confused, what is your definition of sling? From the thread I think you mean eggsack with that. If so, you're definately doing a great job!
Do you have the spiders loose or in a cage?

david

Arachnopeon
sling, yes egg case

I HAVE THEM IN FISH TANKS THAT ENABLE THEM TO CONSTRUCT A WEBAND IS EASYER TO CONTROL THE HUMIDITY.

I ALSO HAVEPLASTIC PLANTS IN THERE FOR THEM TO ATTATCH THERE WEBS.

I WILL BE FEEDING THE BABIES ON WHITE FLY AND FRIUT FLYS,i have learnt unless the babies are able to make even a small web they will not eat ,as i have seen them crawl away from green flys before with out the aid of a web,this must give them some sort of confidence when the prey is in the web.

hopes this helps you JOOST.

Last edited:

spiderologyist

Arachnopeon
hey im a arachnologist with a small temperate controlled room for my spiders im wondering if i could have one of your spider lings im straped on cash so i cant pay much shoot me an email thx

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
{D hahaha, i bet the babies' babies have already died!

(psst, the thread is 10 years old...)

on a side note (and to offer some helpful information), there will probably be some nephila slings available round summer-time.