Surprise isopods from the garden

Farouche

Arachnosquire
Beautiful pods! How are your merulanellas doing? I get my 1st ember bees soon and am quite nervous!
Unfortunately, after several successful generations of babies, I messed up the ventilation with the Merulanellas, and they slowly declined, I only had them for about a year. My mistake was putting them in a small container because I wanted to make sure they get to breeding quickly, but the ventilation was worse than in my usual bins; while they do require high humidity, they seem to loathe stagnant air. I had some gnat issues until predatory mites took over, and while I don't believe these were an issue with the isopods themselves, they were symptomatic of the ventilation problems.

On the other hand, I'm working on my Oniscus asellus stock and have now 2 more tubs of them, one for high yellow selection and one for oranges (I don't like the BC maple oranges stock in the hobby so I'm going for something else). Here are some of the starter group for the yellows, they have reproduced but the babies are too young to get a clear idea of what their adult colouration will be like:

O_asellus_hyellow_2023_11_28_02.jpg O_asellus_hyellow_2023_12_29_00.jpg O_asellus_hyellow_2024_01_14_02.jpg O_asellus_hyellow_2024_01_14_03.jpg O_asellus_hyellow_2024_01_14_05.jpg O_asellus_hyellow_2024_01_14_06.jpg

Farouche

Arachnosquire
An update on the Armadillidium depressum bin! I had found this single mom in the garden after the Ciaran storm that devasted everything, she had a full marsupium and had babies in my bin, and this is what they look like now! Mom visible in the first picture. The babies are much more colourful for now, we'll see if that sticks or not!

A_depressum_03.JPG A_depressum_04.JPG A_depressum_05.JPG

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
They're so cute!

My garden had a ton of pods out yesterday morning. I think they liked the humidity.
20240209_081233.jpg

Farouche

Arachnosquire
Doing a few projects with Oniscus asellus from the garden, getting some good orange individuals like this juvenile:
O_asellus_borange_2024_03_21.jpg

I'm not super interested in re-creating the B.C. Maple morph though. If they retain some high yellow characteristics from my colony, perhaps, otherwise I'd like to develop the orange traits seen in some other of my individuals, which are darker and retain more colouration than the faded out B.C. Maple. I think they're probably two different mutations though...

Last edited:

pentapede

Arachnosquire
Hello there again, have you heard about Oniscus asellus (from the garden), the most underrated isopod in the hobby? Well I found a very orange individual in my colony today.

I absolutely agree with the Title "the most underrated isopod in the hobby" I have had a large, thriving culture for a while now, and they are surprisingly active![/QUOTE]