Surprise egg sac

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I hope it's okay to ask this here. I don't want to start a new thread for it. Why does the egg sac need to be removed? Obviously, in the wild, tarantulas reproduce without that. I know there is a reason. I'm just curious what it is.
If the female gets stressed she may eat, if she thinks it went bad she'll eat it (even if there are a few good EWLs), she may dump it in water, etc. It just increases the chance of survival for the slings if you take it from them.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Is it ok to touch the eggs with my fingers to move them around? There is no outer development as of now. I'm keeping the humidity up and hoping for the best.
Best to use a small soft bristle paint brush.. Eggs pop very easy.

8Legs8Eyes

Arachnosquire
These posts always make me think of humans. Those not trying to reproduce suddenly have a sac and those actively trying are cursing that a sac hasn't dropped yet...

BorisTheSpider

No this is Patrick
Old Timer
They aren't surprise egg sacks . . . they are what I call Tarantula Easter . I have had a few NW females give them to me over the years . I assume in most cases that are the product of a pairing that occured while still in the wild since every one has come from a WC adult.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I hope it's okay to ask this here. I don't want to start a new thread for it. Why does the egg sac need to be removed? Obviously, in the wild, tarantulas reproduce without that. I know there is a reason. I'm just curious what it is.
I know a breeder who doesn't remove the sacs at all. Sometimes the females eat the sacs at least in captivity. The reasons are varied and also not known at times.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/mother-ts-that-eat-their-egg-sac.197000/

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Is 70% humidity ok or should it be higher?
Check for Catfishrod69 's posts. He's a very visible breeder that posts a good amount of info if I recall on his breeding. I can't remember the exact thread but he posted his setup for how he hatches out Ts, pics etc.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
Tarantulas have been known to eat their own egg sacs. I'm sure there are many more reasons, but that'd be the biggest one for me.

EDIT: didn't see that his had already been answered... blame it on a case of the Mondays :rolleyes: