Superworms, when to seperate for pupation?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How do I know if superworms are mature enough to pupate before I seperate them? Do I go by a certain size or behavior?

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've only just started on my 3rd generation, but so far I haven't seen any particular difference as to how old they are before I separate them. I can't tell how mature the individuals are anyway, they get to a certain size and stay that way for quite a while. I just pull out some of the larger ones and most start to curl within a week or so of being separated. Some will molt first, others just go straight away. I've heard even the smaller ones will do the same though I haven't bothered to try it.

Bill

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, mine are all similar in size (large) so if they dont molt within a month then I know they are full grown. I just brought them and they are very hungry and should grow quickly if they need to.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about how big they are when you seperate them, I'd concentrate on getting eggs.

I made three attempts at establishing a superworm colony that failed miserably. I never got the adults to lay eggs.

Of course, I'm also a stubborn little bastard so I'll be trying it next spring again...importing supplies if I need to.

arachnocat

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first experience with mealworm larvaes was with superworms. My husband had a scorpion and a few mealworms we dropped in burrowed into the soil. When his scorpion died we dumped out the tank and found a bunch of giant beetles in the bottom. They were kind of creepy, but cool. I would like to raise them someday. My axolotl loves mealworms although they're not too good for him because of the fat content. He's started spitting out his redworms. I think even animals prefer junk food sometimes :)