superworms dangerous to reptiles

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My adult leopard gecko regurged a superworm once. It was a short time later, shorter than it would take a superworm to gnaw its way out, in my opinion. The worm did not look like it was any condition to chomp through anything. It was dead, though I suppose it may have survived being chomped. The point is, the digestive system began pretty quickly, I'm not so sure there would be time to pop out of a lizard. I don't feed them too frequently, for the reason mentioned up-thread, I think that there could be some risk of impaction, particularly if the belly-heat requirement is not sufficiently met. That is not a problem with any of my leopards, though.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
i had bought some superworms for my tokay gecko and got them home to try them and they were oily 1st time iv'e ever tryed them so that was a turnoff.put them up went to p-etco for some waxworms and was telling the lady bout how i didn't care for superworms and she said they could eat through the stomach of a reptile.anyone ever heard this or is she a fruitloop.
F
R
U
I
T

L
O
O
P

basin79

ArachnoGod
I feed Zeus my Tokay gecko morio worms and have done for for years and years with no problems. I also feed Euryale my Cane toad with them without any issues.

MoranDisciple

Arachnosquire
I feed Zeus my Tokay gecko morio worms and have done for for years and years with no problems. I also feed Euryale my Cane toad with them without any issues.
Toad stomachs are especially tough and leathery to protect against prey that survived being eaten.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Toad stomachs are especially tough and leathery to protect against prey that survived being eaten.
I'm sure Zeus doesn't kill every morio worm he swallows. He usually gives them a couple of chews and then swallows. He won't get the head every time.

Klavier89

Arachnopeon
ummmm...

I REEEEALLY don't see that happening. Not after the loud crunches I hear my lizard do eating them. Hehe.

Actually I'm planning on setting up a breeding terrarium for a couple of the ones I have. My Chinese water dragon doesn't like the beetles at all(the escapees hid under the water bowl and grew). They reek too much. I had picked one up to show my mom and even with three hand washes the stench wouldn't come off. >.<
I know this is old but had to reply. My Blue Tong Skink not only crunches but thrashes the Superworm around before swallowing them.

Even after eating 10 or so (only on special occasions) the only sideffect is a lizard sitting under his basking lamp looking pleased with himself.