Superworm mishap

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
My husband brought home some superworms the other day as a treat for our reptiles. I decided to toss one onto my A. avicularia's web (since it never comes down for food) and it was NOT a good thing. It looked as if it tagged the worm in a defensive manner and then just kept trying to avoid it. The worm chewed up part of the web and I decided to go in after it with a pair of tongs after a little while. I didn't have a very good angle to get in there and after a few attempts, simply ended up chasing the worm into the cork bark tube. Now it's in there somewhere. Ugh.

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
I hate superworms. If/when I feed them, I either tong feed or crush their heads before dropping them in. I only have about 6 that will actually eat them though.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
IME, these guys will usually surface to walk around at night, so keep an eye out. You may yet get a chance to get it back!

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I cant stand super worms. There was a time I didnt know they metamorphed into Beetles...

What a surprise I got...

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
I'll never do it again, that's for sure. My G. pulchra ate one - no problem. He's a little pig though. I am pretty sure he will eat anything that moves. :p Surprisingly, his appetite matches that of my A. geniculata.

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
When I used to feed these to my ts, I'd crush their heads right before tossing them in there. Once I get myself some ts again, I'll definately go back to this habit.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've started crushing the mandible part since last week. I accidentally ordered 2k instead of 1000 last week. :eek:

Lilija

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've started crushing the mandible part since last week. I accidentally ordered 2k instead of 1000 last week. :eek:
That's a load of mandible crushing, whoa. I'm getting a little lightheaded just thinking about it.

I can't handle worms in any form. They're my worst phobia. It's totally irrational, but my chest gets all heavy, and I sort of lose my mind in the presence of anything wiggly. Everyone that knows me, cracks up about it. Anything squishy. Ugh.

Once, we lost a superworm in my bearded dragon's tank, it burrowed and went down in the sand. I ordered my husband to take the whole tank outside, and find the damn thing, and not come back in till it was dead and gone. That was our first and last experience with superworms.

Sky`Scorcher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
They're good investments though ;) Sometimes the ones that escape end up being eaten sooner or later. Especially the ones the really go after their food.
I just make sure when I feed them superworms is when they have recently molted.

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Nope. I'll play with roaches all day long before I'll deal with a big mushy worm. Hope you find it, Toni.

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Mealworms? Superworms? MUSHY? Um, I don't think we're talking about the same worms here ;). From what I recall from using the things as bait, they are more cunchy than squishy. Of course, the last time I used them was over 12 years ago...

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am CRUSHING your Head!

I hate superworms. If/when I feed them, I either tong feed or crush their heads before dropping them in. I only have about 6 that will actually eat them though.
When I used to feed these to my ts, I'd crush their heads right before tossing them in there. Once I get myself some ts again, I'll definately go back to this habit.
Go Kids in the Hall Refferences! :p

I once had one bust outta Helmeted Gecko side.....Supporting the "They can Kill Reptiles" Claim. It is possible the Gecko died, due 2 EGG-BINDING, as they are extra susceptable to :cool: I however, ALWAYS, Crush their Heads Now {D

MichiganReptiles

Arachnobaron
Mealworms? Superworms? MUSHY? Um, I don't think we're talking about the same worms here ;). From what I recall from using the things as bait, they are more cunchy than squishy. Of course, the last time I used them was over 12 years ago...
You're correct.. they are not mushy. Some people don't like any type of worm though. No biggie.