Suggestions for which is better for beginners

jiminymantis

Arachnopeon
I’m very new to owning a praying mantis recently however I’m interested in getting a tarantula or any type of spider I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for which is better for beginners or also if they have any advice for caring for a spider.

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Really good info tarantula info in pinned posts in that forum... Start from here:

Many of the New World terrestrial species are good starters. If you search the tarantula discuss and tarantula chat forum you'll find a lot of varied recommendations!

Key advice: be ready to practice a lot of patience. :)

Mustafa67

Arachnopeon
I’m very new to owning a praying mantis recently however I’m interested in getting a tarantula or any type of spider I’m wondering if anyone has any suggestions for which is better for beginners or also if they have any advice for caring for a spider.
I’d recommend a T Albo juvenile, mine is really calm and wonderful to watch (I don’t handle AT ALL, DON’T handle). I love my A Genic juvenile too, it’s big, colourful and has a good personality.

It depends what you want though, some tarantula species behaviours can vary even between the same species. I’d recommend a T Albo for a total beginner. Juvenile or sub adult.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
I love mantids one of my favorite insects.

As far as arachnids go do alot of research first before just jumping in hint hint...maybe a jumper.

It's really whatever you feel comfortable with and what you realistically can start off with. Not necessarily what you want i.e. a fiesty old world but be realistic after you do all your research.
Use the search icon at the top of the homepage. Most correct information can be found just by using the search feature on AB.
I will advise though, proper research has no set time period. Like read for a few minutes or a day then you're ready no no it takes time...... Arachnids can be the easiest animal to take care of yet can seem over complicated with all the tons of information.

Best of luck, here is a pic back from Sept. 22 last year of a mantis having a smorgasbord on the top of my car when I left work. I safely relocated it to a nearby bush before getting in my car.

Notice the pile of bugs to the left of it.

20220920_230023.jpg

Last edited:

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Wolf spiders are good too, they are active and visible, ferocious eaters, can't climb glass, don't kick hairs, and are free...

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Advice: research all the beginner T threads here, come back with SPECIFIC questions