Suggestions for son's first T

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I would recommend getting a dwarf for a little one. That would probably be easier for him. P. scrofa maybe, BUT...

I would say G. pulchripes would be an awesome choice.
idk my P scrofa (which i originally rescued as a rose hair and it was later I.D'd by my club to be a P scrofa is kinda moody at times so careful with that too also mine looks pinkish idk how much a little boy would want a pink spider

@ Moltar does that mean i'm a weird girl in both aspects since i keep tarantulas and snakes? :p

SkitterAlong

Arachnopeon
I'd say that easily 30% of posters here are senoritas. It tells me that a certain type of mind is drawn to this type of hobby and it's less machismo driven than peopkle assume.
I totally agree with you on that. I'm really pleased to know there's a healthy number of women on this board:clap: sometimes I feel a little alone in the hobby as far as my gender goes but it looks like it's more of an location thing. I'm in Southern Cali and would love to meet some local fellow invert-loving gals :)

Lolita

Arachnoknight
I'd say that easily 30% of posters here are senoritas. It tells me that a certain type of mind is drawn to this type of hobby and it's less machismo driven than peopkle assume.QUOTE]

I totally agree with you on that. I'm really pleased to know there's a healthy number of women on this board:clap: sometimes I feel a little alone in the hobby as far as my gender goes but it looks like it's more of an location thing. I'm in Southern Cali and would love to meet some local fellow invert-loving gals :)
too bad you don't live in colorado you'd love our club lots of girls the creator of the club was even a girl

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'm actually fairly impressed at how many women there are in this hobby. I'd say that easily 30% of posters here are senoritas. It tells me that a certain type of mind is drawn to this type of hobby and it's less machismo driven than peopkle assume. I wouldn't know for certain, but I bet there are less girls (by percentage) in the snake world than in the spider world.
...you mean like this? ;)

Attachments

Rue

Arachnoknight
Thank you!

Vietnamese Blue Beauty...Elaphe (Orthriophis) t. taeniura

JC50

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That is a beautiful snake both with color and pattern.In can`t say that i have even seen one before this picture but i like it.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
B. albopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair) is one of my favorite starters. Docile, comparatively fast growing for the genus, easy to care for, pretty to look at, hungry feeder, handleable, fairly abundant and therefore cheap.
I'll second this :clap:

Rue

Arachnoknight
That is a beautiful snake both with color and pattern.In can`t say that i have even seen one before this picture but i like it.
Thanks! They are beautiful...and not very nice (the species as a whole). No doubt in part why they're not more popular. We got ours as a baby...so who knew? I was assured that they were very friendly! :D

Lolita

Arachnoknight
Thanks! They are beautiful...and not very nice (the species as a whole). No doubt in part why they're not more popular. We got ours as a baby...so who knew? I was assured that they were very friendly! :D
lol i was told the same thing about brazilian rainbows but mine hatchlings are sweet as can be

Thegloryfades

Arachnosquire
As is my smithi which is usually considered a good starter, she'll kick hairs if you even touch her enclosure. I think every tarantula varies in temperament regardless of what's generally considered starter friendly you'll always have some feisty individuals

Last edited:

Lolita

Arachnoknight
As is my smithi which is usually considered a good starter, she'll kick hairs if you even touch her enclosure. I think every tarantula varies in temperament regardless of what's generally considered starter friendly you'll always have some feisty individuals
thats is true boehmeis have a reputation for being kicky though i've never seen a not kicky one where as i have three smithis and none of them have ever kicked at me

malhomme

Arachnopeon
I would suggest G. pulchra or G. pulchripes.

Some people, myself included, are very sensitive to Brachypelma urts. I can't open their enclosures w/out having to treat my exposed hands and arms afterwards. Just something to consider.

That said, I promised my 7 y/o that he will get the B. emilia when he's older.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
G.pulchripes or whatever its called now.They are less prone to kicking( IMHO) A.chalcodes is a GREAT starter as well..VERY docile...You can pretty much juggle ours( (no,we have not tried it,so keep the comments to yourselves)boehmei are great but a bit kicky,and every smithi I have owned has showered me with hairs....

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would say P. murinus, nicely bright colours and nice webbing. May I add how great these kind of threads are? Really, how else should a father know what is best for his kid then by opening a thread like this? God bless America!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To throw in my suggestion(as yet another female T keeper:) ) B. smithi is beautiful and is awesome to watch grow. If it is going to be 6 years until the T is truly his to take care of, that will give it lots of time to grow up and then it will another 10+ years to go.

I would not recommend any Avicularia species as they are not as long lived and may not be around by the time your son turns 10.