Suggestions for first snake?

arrowhd

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would also consider Lampropeltis getula californiae (California Kingsnakes). Great starter snake in my opinion.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I vote for a sandboa of somesort. Kenyan or Roughscale.. They are usually VERY mellow. They dont spaz out all the time like cornsnakes and milksnakes. Theyre just nice to hold and look at because they dont always have somewhere to go! :D
I have milksnakes and hognoses as well. Out of those two I would say Hogs are more mellow. My milksnakes are just hyper!!!
I think a beginner will enjoy seeing the snake once in a while too and the look on the sandboas are not really the typical "snake-look"
Corns are usually calm snakes, eats well and sheds without problems. Id say its the perfect first snake!

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Can someone say all the ways snakes kill? Envenomation and constriction are the only two?
Womas take there prey down in burrows by pushing the prey up on the wallby its body and suffocate it
Many larger ratsnakes etc swallow down live prey

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
-Garthers eat dead prey: thawed unfrozen smelt and the like. this makes for easy feeding: you don't have to get into smelly hairy rodents that can harm your snake when not eaten right away or can cause allergics to you or other people in the house.
You do realize most rodent-eaters can be trained (and ARE trained) to take pre-killed prey? And the smell of a thawed mouse is certainly no worse than thawed-out fish.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you guys recommend buying on line, or from a petco/regular petstore?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Do you guys recommend buying on line, or from a petco/regular petstore?
ONLINE, every time. Pet stores, especially large chains like petco, have an absolutely awful record when it comes to giving people healthy animals that have been well taken care of. Plus they overcharge you like mad--I bought a healthy captive-bred ball python from a reputable breeder, and even with shipping it still cost me less than the sickly dehydrated wild-caught babies Petco had for sale. (You could see every bone in their bodies, yick!)

Check around the seller review forums here, and over on faunaclassifieds.

Flagg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
From a breeeder or at a show. The chicago area show was today and finally there was a VERY nice selection of cornsnakes, with a lot more corn breeders there. I guess it's just about peak season for most 07 hatched corns.

More common morphs like snows, amels and normals from $10-$15, I also saw a good selection of butters, butter motleys, caramels, bloodreds, lavenders, stripes, probably the best selection of corns I've seen there in a long time.

If my recently ordered rack was here I would have come home with an 07 female bloodred corn snake and an 07 male pastel ball python.

Well next show is in 2 weeks and I might get that bloodred, or try to force myself to wait for the big NARBC show in Tinley Park in October.

At a show from a breeder or shipped from a breeder, definitely avoid a pet store.

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Snake killing methods are generally classified into four methods:
  1. simple seizing
  2. seizing and holding with a coil
  3. poisoning
  4. constricting

Last edited:

blacktara

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
King snake is a good choice. Mild-mannered and easy to care for

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
At my local petshop there is an albino kingsnake for 69 dollars. How is that?

tin man

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you should get a ball python, my brother got one and he just loves it.;)

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well with the shipping it's basically the same, so I guess it is fair.

Takumaku

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Research, research, research all the recommendations before you actually purchase. Buying the snake is the smallest cost of owning the snake. You still have to worry about caging, heating (if necessary - black milksnakes don't need additional heat), feeding requirements, and local laws/permits [if applicable].

If you are remotely interested in any North America rat snakes (corns, black rat, grey rat, texas, etc.) then I'll recommed you contact Kathy Love (http://www.corn-utopia.com/) or Don Soderberg (http://www.cornsnakes.net/). Both, Kathy more so than Don, will talk your head off about all the beautiful morphs they are working with, recommendations on what to get (they almost never recommended a hatchling) and what to expect.

Sand boas -- contact Chris Harrison, sandboa@cox-internet.com ,(http://www.kingsnake.com/sandboa/sandboa.html.)

Pituophis (gophers, bulls, and pine snakes) -- John Cherry Sr./Jr. (http://www.kingsnake.com/cherry/) or KJUN Snakehaven (kj@kingsnake.kingsnake.com).

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
my first thought is corn snake. that was my first and second snake. great little snakes..lots of variety in color variation, pretty calm temperament (though some are a bit nippy when young which generally (not always) diminishes with age and consistent handling), and are pretty inexpensive.

a king snake wouldn't be bad. that was my third snake. mine was a bit more skittish than the corns..but i'm sure they are just as varied in personality as any other species of animal.

as has been said..research and research some more. i'd recommend buying a book on whichever snake you decide on BEFORE buying it. i bought the newer/updated corn snake book from bill and kathy love before getting my first snake, and it had all the information i needed really. then if there is still something you are wondering, you can always ask here at the boards, or even join a snake forum.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well I've actually done a lot of research, it's not like I'm just buying a drink with no consideration before I buy it. And like I said, I got until October 4th (My birthday);P