Sugar Gliders!?! I've gone from T's to Furry Marsupials!

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
SO I broke down and finally bought my Fiance' her sugar gliders...I NEVER THOUGHT I would see the day that I did this, but we're comming up on one of those BIG anniversary's (my spelling is horrid today!) and I KNOW that's what she wanted...NEEDLESS to say, I think I paid 100 for 2, and then 80 for the cage and supplies...I SWEAR, I've LOST IT...FROM T's to Fuzzy marsupials That bite! (And they LOVE to bite) We'll see what happens at night, I was told that they LOVE to be obnoxious at night (being noctournal) So yeah......I think I've Got issues...I can buy T's All day long and spend hundreds...But when it comes to fuzzy things, I CANT BELEIVE that I bought them!

I'll post some pix of the two Named Lilo and Stitch (dont ask me, I didnt name them!) later on this evening!

SOMEONE CALL ME A HEAD DOCTOR!!!!:wall: :wall: :wall:

FOOTBALL FAN

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a bloke my dad knows has a pair their really freindly they climb up the curtains and jump off down to the sofa, I recon there cool

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I did the same thing except with rats. Ts and mammals are both fuzzy at least

Teeroy

Arachnopeon
My wife has one. About the time I goto sleep it starts barking and raising hell. Goodluck. If you need any help my wife is an experienced keeper of those things!

SouthernStyle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My wife has one. About the time I goto sleep it starts barking and raising hell. Goodluck. If you need any help my wife is an experienced keeper of those things!
I dont expect to have any serious problems, they're not that noisy at night really...I mean I could sleep through a tornado if it hit...And they didnt bother us last night at all...I'll keep ya in mind though~ Especially since we're in the same area....Ya going to that Reptile show in Denver??

Teeroy

Arachnopeon
O yes! I Can't wait, picking up a few things from Botar up there. Keeping my fingers crossed it seems to snow anytime I plan a trip to Denver!!

AviculariaLover

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sugar gliders are great! And I'm very glad you got two. I had only one, was given to me when I was only 10. She ended up getting sick at five years of age, RIP my little baby.

Make sure the two of you spend enough time bonding with the lil guys! They will bond to you like you're its mother. If they get enough attention and love during the evening and morning (when they most like to play) they shouldnt make too much noise at night. Mine would only be noisy when she was unhappy, however, with two gliders, they might just want to chatter with eachother! It may take a while of slight training but they should stop biting. My biggest problem was her crapping and peeing on me, so I had specific shirts (with pockets) just for her. Let them ride around with you during the day. Mine would often just fall asleep in my pocket.

Proper diet is extremely important. I think mine got sick because we gave her too many table scraps (she loved pasta and rice). Do a lot of research on the best diets! The vet bills and the anguish of seeing your lil glider chewing on itself are best to be avoided, it'll be more of a hassle to get so much fresh and precise ingredients but it's worth it.

Good luck! Would love to see pictures {D

KUJordan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Those guys are sweet. My parents just picked up a little male and a little female. They're both 8 weeks old. I like them, but I don't get home much so I don't get to spend much time with them. They are very inquisitive. I may get some in my far future. I want an albino one though....

Good luck with them, and seriously, their bites aren't that bad:razz:

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They have albinos!!! I want one. I actually have, at the moment, a total of six. Two juveniles close to weening age right now, if anyone is interested. I don't breed them, they just happen to do that on their own;) .
I only had a problem with the male biting me when he was younger, he went through a period of adolescence and teen angst, I think. He's cool now, though, and he'll come when I call him (clicking sounds and a bribe) by jumping across the room. He stinks, though, and I suggest that, unless you want babies, to get a male neutered.
As far as diet issues are concerned, there is no excuse to have an unhealthy glider, with all the products available. There are several different vitamin supplements available (I've heard you can use reptile supplements as well) specifically for gliders, as well as a small variety of glider food. I alternate between dry food, frozen mixed vegetables (they like corn, carrots and peas), sweet potatoes, and various fruits (check up on the various part).
They loooovvve crickets and roaches:D , and will snatch them from your fingers. Feed them your feeders, and you will eventually like them. I could never get mine to go for them, but I've heard they'll eat superworms, and it resembles them eating a snowcone!
Oh, and don't sweat having a cute furry animal (yeah I said cute, so what!?!) gliders are creatures of the night too!:p
[edit]here's a good thread for a food recipe: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=76538&highlight=sugar+glider

Last edited: