Successfull Lycosid mating, but what sp.?

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
I bought these two yesterday, and mated them tonight. I bought them as Lycosa sp. "Egypt". Anybody got any idea which species they are?

Sorry about the quality of the pics. My camera will only take good quality pics in daylight, so I will hopefully take some better pics when I can. First pic is the female... then the male... then the copulation.

Attachments

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
I have googled "Lycosa Egypt" and have found a species called Lycosa cingara which is found in that region but cannot find any pics.

Umar

Arachnopeon
hey

i don't know the name of this species but i live in Morocco and i have recently collected three wild specimens that are identical to that picture i have 2 males identical color/pattern to that one and what i think is a female thats bigger and darker in color looks almost dirty.
sorry i don't know the scientific name but i would also be interested to know and i thought this might help you to know more about the range etc.
i do have some photos but my pc isn't able to post them on the forums for some reason i think bad pc/internet

anyway sorry not to be of more help

Umar

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
hey

i don't know the name of this species but i live in Morocco and i have recently collected three wild specimens that are identical to that picture i have 2 males identical color/pattern to that one and what i think is a female thats bigger and darker in color looks almost dirty.
sorry i don't know the scientific name but i would also be interested to know and i thought this might help you to know more about the range etc.
i do have some photos but my pc isn't able to post them on the forums for some reason i think bad pc/internet

anyway sorry not to be of more help

Umar
Hey Umar. Thanks for the reply. I will keep searching for the name. Please let me know how you get on with them, and if you have any tips. I have found that they seem to like it very hot, and enjoy basking.

Also, try uploading the pics onto photobucket rather than onto this site.

Thanks again, Lee.

Umar

Arachnopeon
ok i have put some photos on photobucket you should find them here:

http://s307.photobucket.com/albums/nn303/Umarkirk/?action=view&current=P1010012.jpg

looking at them more im noticing subtle differances im not sure if they are the same but they are very similar. i have also noticed that these guys like it hot and also seem to bask alot. i have mated the male to the female also, it seemed to go well and was all done in 5 mins at which point the male got all nervous so i removed him from her tank hehe.
i will try to get some photos of the big female up later if i can

Umar

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
Thankyou Umar. I do not think that they are the same species as mine though. Yours look better than mine!

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
Today the female has built herself into this den. Curiously she has done this in the coolest corner of the cage. She is normally always basking in the heat. I assume that she is laying her eggsac. Either that or she is moulting. Anybody know if wolves normally seal themselves in to lay? How long 'till she is likely to emerge?

I will keep this thread updated with the latest news if anybody is interested.

Attachments

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
I have slings! I cant get any pics though as half of the slings have left her back and are climbing the sides of the box, so I cannot remove the lid. There are hundreds of them! :D

JonathanF

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Looks like a Hogna sp. to me, pretty common throughout the middle east.

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
My Lycosa breeding project is going very well. The slings from the first batch are growing like weeds. Some of them are half grown now. I repeated the mating and now have a second eggsac due to hatch.

I also have another wild caught female recently lay an eggsac. She is a different species, lycosa sp "Mendoza" and is much larger than L. sp. "Egypt".

Lee.

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
I know its not easy to tell from photos, but if there are any Lycosa experts out there, I am still looking for species names for both sp.

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
Now that I have a new camera, here is a better pic of L. sp. "Egypt". This is an adult male...

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
Hi to the forum! I now have a number of captive bred specimens of L.sp. "Egypt" and L.sp "Mendoza" that have grown to a good size. Some of them will soon be mature enough to breed from. Obviously they are related. Is inbreeding depression likely to be a problem?

I will get some more photos loaded up soon.

Thanks, Lee. :D

RED-LEG

Arachnopeon
PS I am still desperate to get my hands on some L. tarantula if anybody knows of a suplier. :?