Successful Isopod Combinations?

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Greetings all,

I originally read about the possibility of keeping isopods as cage-cleaners in Schultz's book. Lately I've been looking at some older posts from people that have done so. Looks like some have kept them together with little or no predation and others have had their isos regularly munched. I was wondering which species of tarantula people in this community have kept with isopods to what degrees of success? And what types of isopods?

Knight in Gale

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Pill bugs also known as rolly pollys or sow bugs, they produce a chemical that makes them ?smell bad? (not too sure) to the T and T's wont touch them

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My P. platyomma downs isopods like candy. No one else seems to notice them, and I use them in any enclosure with moisture. They seem to work very well for my sloppy Avics.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pill bugs also known as rolly pollys or sow bugs, they produce a chemical that makes them ?smell bad? (not too sure) to the T and T's wont touch them
I do not believe this is true. I have read accounts from members on this board who have had slings munch on them. I don't think they would be snacking on something that 'smells bad'.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have kept them in an Avicularia metallica enclosure and a Haplopelma sp.Vietnam enclosure, neither were bothered by them and we never saw either species even notice them, let alone eat them. Both Ts were adults, so they are really too small to be considered prey. The kind most commonly found in North America is Armadillidium vulgare and is the species that we have. Here is some additional information on isopods. :D

KnightinGale

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey thanks. I looked up Armidillidium vulgare and they look very much to be the type I have noticed around here. There are areas where they may be safely collected so I think I will try some out, though it looks like my B. Smithi enclosure will be too dry. Have people tried these with scorpions too? I'm thinking they would like the nice humid imperator enclosure. Maybe in with feeder crickets too, since they are so messy anyway?