Substrate to Allow Pandinus to Burrow

Outlaw_Aculeus

Arachnopeon
Hello,

I have a question pertaining to substrate for my Pandinus. I have tried a couple, with different ratios of soil and coconut coir. I want him to be able to burrow like he wants to, but I haven't been able to get one that will let him do so. The second time I changed the substrate, he immediately started to burrow, and I was excited, but the substrate wouldn't hold up, and his little burrow collapsed. What should I use?

Thanks!

Devon

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A well supported "cave" will allow it to dig down with a stable roof above it's head. Then if the tank is setup properly there will come a point where it will be able to burrown horizontally. That's an easy trick. Maybe you need to make sure the enclosure is moist enough?

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A well supported "cave" will allow it to dig down with a stable roof above it's head. Then if the tank is setup properly there will come a point where it will be able to burrown horizontally.
That's kinda what I did, and it worked nicely. I gave them bark hides from petco to hide under, and they eventually burrowed to the side, making a branch from the artificial "cave."

I'm using pure coco fiber, by the way.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^^ what they said

BTW any pics of the false cave? or how to make it
Camera isn't working, but if you are using heavy material such as rocks, it helps to start with an empty tank, or with all the gravel already in for the false bottom, but species that require less humidity start from the bare bottom. Take 3 rocks. lay 2 on the bottom, and one across, fiddle with them to find the stiffest setup. Then cover the whole thing with peat and stuff the inside gently but don't pack it too hard, pack the surounding areas very tight though. You can use more than three if you'd like, I belive I used 4 in my last because I had about 7 inches of peat and I wanted to start at the top. One was the base rock, which prevented all the others from tumbling, this is what you are trying to prevent by starting at the bottom. Another trick I've used is to buy two bricks, place them on the bottom, surround them with tightly compacted peat and then put slate over the top, cheap, and easy. Of course with both it helps to dig out a small "starting" point, to encourage the burrow being built there. One final trick that is simple is buying small/medium clay pots, scoring them with a utility knife and a nice carefully planned series of hard taps to split it in half. I bury those a little and encourage a burrow and it works. This is useful because it really decreases the chance of a threating collapse. Note I spend a good deal of time sanding the edges off the pots, they do get guite sharp.

Lasly as Iheart said, a simple log (I've also used a coconut shell cut in half) buried in the dirt with an indentation to encourage the burrow works great too. The main objectives they want in they're burrow is a place to hunt, escape the heat and have a good humidity level. I've noticed even if the topsoil gets extremely dey, a well constructed burrow usually remains quite accommodating.

Outlaw_Aculeus

Arachnopeon
Awesome. Thanks for all of the great input, people. I am, at the moment using pure coco coir. There was a point where I had a ratio which was more potting soil than coir, and he almost had a tunnel dug on his own. I really like the idea of the false cave to start. Mechanically, I think the thicker ceiling once he branches out on his own will work great, because I do pack the substrate down quite firmly. As a sidenote, if I may, I have a question about enclosures. Right now I am using a 5 gal. tank for my one Pandinus. I have read that the enclosure shouldn't be too big, so that feeding is easy, but I really want to put him in to a bigger enclosure to let him move around. I think it's a good idea. What do you all think? Thanks!

Devon

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have one of my female P imps in a 30 gallon tank and she has no problem hunting her food. you just have to make sure there isn't a lot of clutter in the tank to make hunting harder for the scorpion.