Substrate question?

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've heard people mention not to use wood chips which are two large.

How big is too big?

And what's the best substrate for an avic?

I need to rehouse mine.

I'm newish to the hobby and still learning. SO I'd appreciate any and all advice.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
dont use wood chips at all.

Go buy a bag of sphagnum peat moss. or coco fiber.

I prefer the peat.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some trees have natural defenses against insects, so, you might be putting your T in an inclosure with substrate that might harm it. Just err on the side of caution. Whether terrestrials get abbrasions due to prolonged exposure??? Don't know, but why risk it.

I only use peat, have so for over 4 years, its cheap, safe on soft rumps, and did I mention cheap.

PIG-

webbedone

Arachnobaron
Peat and Coco are almost same thing imo both are excellent choices but there is also nothing wrong with jungle mix or bed a beast either

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
^ wrong.

Peat is from dried up bogs. Coco coir is from shredded coconut shells.

Peat is acidic. it doesnt mold easily because of the acidity

Coco fiber is not as acidic- and molds pretty easily. people have had HUGE yellow mushrooms grown in their tanks because of this.

jungle mix is expensive, dusty, and doesnt allow for burrowing. it makes for a horrible substrate for Ts.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have only had one mold problem with my coco fiber, and it was in a container that came to me already molded up.

For avics I have very little substrate,mostly because I think it looks bare without it, and much rather a big waterdish to help with humidity.

webbedone

Arachnobaron
I use eco earth Coco fiber and i never had it mold nor have i seen a single bag with mold in it, i have slings of different spicies that have had no problem burrowing in it. Nor have i seen gaint yellow mushrooms you speak of. i can get a gaint bag of Eco earth Coco fiber for 6 bucks from a local pet supply store or buy it in dry blocks for $6.50

as far as coco and peat is almost the same comment its about their properties as substrates(holding humidity/softness/the ability of staying compact for T to burrow) not them being the same material. I am sure newbies would appritiate the discription of the differences in materials, but it is unnecessary when discussing the properties.

Thirdly i have seen T's burrow in jungle mix and use their silk to line up and reinforce insides of their tunnels. As far as dustiness goes it is a personal prefence and i am sure that since tarantulas live in some of the most harsh environments in the world(Atacama Desert/Tropical Rain Forests) they wouldnt complain about a little dust.

Truely horrible things to use for T substrates would be Bark(abrasiveness),Woodchips(they breed mites) and sand/shale (self explainatory)

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard people mention not to use wood chips which are two large. ...
Using any sort of wood chip (except perhaps aspen chips) is a bit risky. The major question is whether the packager has mixed cedar shavings into it or something equally noxious. The oils in cedar and a lot of other coniferous woods are irritating to just about all life forms. Besides, there are better alternatives like peat and shredded coconut husk. Even common soil from a place that hasn't been sprayed with pesticides would be better.

This begs the question "Who in their right mind would mix cedar shavings in with wood shavings and chips?" The answer: "Just about everybody who packages animal bedding sold in a pet shop!"

Be forewarned. Also, be afraid. Very afraid!

... And what's the best substrate for an avic? ...
Actually, since Avicularia spend nearly all their time at altitude in our cages, the substrate you use is almost irrelevant as long as it isn't outright harmful. In fact, we've kept lots of Avicularia on plain glass bottomed cages (but with a very large water dish), paper toweling, and even over Astroturf carpeting!

... I'm newish to the hobby and still learning. SO I'd appreciate any and all advice.
Then perhaps you might profit from reading Stan's Rant at http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/stansrant.html.

Enjoy your 8-legged little buddies!

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use eco earth Coco fiber and i never had it mold nor have i seen a single bag with mold in it, i have slings of different spicies that have had no problem burrowing in it. Nor have i seen gaint yellow mushrooms you speak of. i can get a gaint bag of Eco earth Coco fiber for 6 bucks from a local pet supply store or buy it in dry blocks for $6.50

as far as coco and peat is almost the same comment its about their properties as substrates(holding humidity/softness/the ability of staying compact for T to burrow) not them being the same material. I am sure newbies would appritiate the discription of the differences in materials, but it is unnecessary when discussing the properties.

Thirdly i have seen T's burrow in jungle mix and use their silk to line up and reinforce insides of their tunnels. As far as dustiness goes it is a personal prefence and i am sure that since tarantulas live in some of the most harsh environments in the world(Atacama Desert/Tropical Rain Forests) they wouldnt complain about a little dust.

Truely horrible things to use for T substrates would be Bark(abrasiveness),Woodchips(they breed mites) and sand/shale (self explainatory)
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=155543&highlight=mushrooms

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=151419&highlight=mushrooms

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=148434&highlight=mushrooms

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=132519&highlight=mushrooms

get my point yet?

you can get 3 to 4 cubic foot of peat for 12 bucks. also peat hold humidity better that coco, it compacts better.

Its personal preferance, but coco and coir are worlds apart in my book. also..that jungle mix, is a joke. I wouldnt spend the 8 bucks a bag for that crap.

Last edited:

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
haha. didnt realize I spelt that. haha. I corrected it now though.

8 bucks! not bugs.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Which was...?:?

If you mean edit my post, because I made a typo, then yup.