substrate question for my pokies

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ok i am getting ready to rehouse one of my 4 inch P. regalis....right now i have it in a tall plastic tupperware....well right now all my arboreals have no substrate..i just gave them a water dish, and some plastic plants...well i am getting a exo terra 12x12x18, and i was wondering what the thoughts were on going ahead and keeping them on no bedding... i figure it will be alot less dirty, and i use cocoa fiber, and it all drys out like sand anyways, so as long as i keep up my regular misting, and everything, then how does a water bowl, and some plastic vines sound? thanks

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Quite possible to keep them without substrate, but I don't see why. Substrate is cheap, cleaning it is almost unnecessary, and it provides an element that your pokies will use to burrow in or camouflage their webbing with.
My advice would be to include substrate.

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Depending on the substrate type, it holds humidity well. Unless it is a burrowing species, I don't see much of a "need" for substrate other than humidity retention. With moist substrate and some blocked off ventilation, you barely will have to do any misting IME with Avics. IMO it also offers a good natural look to your enclosures.

--Dan

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Poeci's like to use the sub as camo/cover, when building hides, so id say use the sub, it will make them feel more comfortable......a poeci without a sufficiant hide-out, is most likley a unhappy one;)

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah substrate is cheap, but it either dries out to bone dry, or molds....i hate the cocoa fiber, but its what i use for now....

Quite possible to keep them without substrate, but I don't see why. Substrate is cheap, cleaning it is almost unnecessary, and it provides an element that your pokies will use to burrow in or camouflage their webbing with.
My advice would be to include substrate.

---------- Post added at 06:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:18 PM ----------

well the cocoa fiber dries out extremely bad, i am thinking of getting some soil from a landscaper, and baking it in the oven and using that....yeah the enclosure will look better with a substrate too....

Depending on the substrate type, it holds humidity well. Unless it is a burrowing species, I don't see much of a "need" for substrate other than humidity retention. With moist substrate and some blocked off ventilation, you barely will have to do any misting IME with Avics. IMO it also offers a good natural look to your enclosures.

--Dan

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 PM ----------

yeah i understand....just wond if the substrate drying out, will actually suck humidity out of the enclosure...

Poeci's like to use the sub as camo/cover, when building hides, so id say use the sub, it will make them feel more comfortable......a poeci without a sufficiant hide-out, is most likley a unhappy one;)

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't have much problem with coir drying out, its all relevant to how much moisture you put in, how well ventilated the enclosure is and how high your heat is.
For pokies, and most other species 75F is fine with a weekly watering, via spray or directly onto the substrate. With Pokies you should rely on off-dry rather than moist substrate.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i also keep my poeci's substrate bone dry....the occasional light mist, wich drys by the next day...so no need to worry bout the sub suckin the moisture out of the air.Dry sub, waterdish, works great!.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah i see...

I don't have much problem with coir drying out, its all relevant to how much moisture you put in, how well ventilated the enclosure is and how high your heat is.
For pokies, and most other species 75F is fine with a weekly watering, via spray or directly onto the substrate. With Pokies you should rely on off-dry rather than moist substrate.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

thats what im thinking, nice waterdish, and spraying when needed....also with the substrate dry, you dont have to worry about leftovers molding quickly...

i also keep my poeci's substrate bone dry....the occasional light mist, wich drys by the next day...so no need to worry bout the sub suckin the moisture out of the air.Dry sub, waterdish, works great!.

crawltech

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You gotter dude!......keep us posted on wich route you go, either way:D...good luck wit your poeci's!