Substrate Idea Test (Traeger Oak Wood Pellets)

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Hello everyone! I’ve recently decided to look into using 100% wood based substrate for my millipedes and thought I would make a thread to post updates on how this works. I’m not the first one to do it and other people have said it works, but I’m going to continue posting under this thread with how it influences the growth of the millipedes and their overall “happiness.” Hopefully this information is useful for you all. The brand of choice is Traeger, as it has been used before by other hobbyists and contains no additives, to which I did 3 cups of wood pellets to 3 cups of water in a 50/50 mixture. I used a big bowl and each batch took less than 5 minutes to prepare and dish out, the pellets turn into useable substrate in lightning fast speeds. In addition to the wood pellets, I harvested a fallen oak log that was already mushy and coming apart just by touching it, which I boiled for an hour or so while I was preparing the pellets and other ingredients. Then I used some already processed oak leaves and ground them up, sprinkling them on top. The end result was a three layered oak lasagna, which kind of reminds me of the squirrel from ice age when he’s in acorn heaven, except for millipedes.

PS - the whole bag was $20 for 20 pounds and I used 9 cups total for 6 millipede containers which barely scraped the surface...you’ll get your money’s worth.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Did you boil all the leaves and wood you collected? I would personally be concerned that your substrate will be much too sterile, which I believe can be unhealthy for millipedes. From what I've heard expanded wood pellets normally decay to an edible state very quickly but I doubt they can do that without a starting culture of microbes. If you haven't already I'd recommend adding some unsterilised rotten wood/leaves. You could put it in the freezer or heat it at a low temperature if you're worried about hitchhikers or if you have it you could use some old, already established substrate that you know is safe and has a good level of microorganisms. :)
If it was me I might also be inclined to let it sit and 'ferment' for a while before I used it. That way I'd be more confident it was edible, plus newly sterilised substrate usually has a large mould bloom and I don't know if that could be too much of a good thing for the millipedes.
Oh, and definitely add some springtails! They're great for millipede set ups imo. :happy:

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Did you boil all the leaves and wood you collected? I would personally be concerned that your substrate will be much too sterile, which I believe can be unhealthy for millipedes. From what I've heard expanded wood pellets normally decay to an edible state very quickly but I doubt they can do that without a starting culture of microbes. If you haven't already I'd recommend adding some unsterilised rotten wood/leaves. You could put it in the freezer or heat it at a low temperature if you're worried about hitchhikers or if you have it you could use some old, already established substrate that you know is safe and has a good level of microorganisms. :)
If it was me I might also be inclined to let it sit and 'ferment' for a while before I used it. That way I'd be more confident it was edible, plus newly sterilised substrate usually has a large mould bloom and I don't know if that could be too much of a good thing for the millipedes.
Oh, and definitely add some springtails! They're great for millipede set ups imo. :happy:
Thank you for all of the suggestions! I’m adding springtails but yes everything was boiled for an hour. The leaves came from a seller so I’m not exactly sure if they contain beneficial bacteria, I guess I’ll have to watch to see. The wood outside my house has a parasite infestation that eliminated the entire population of isopods out there, I actually have a picture of a worm exiting the head of an isopod. Pretty nasty stuff so I don’t want to risk it. I’m going to add some more unsterilized leaves from the hill just to mix it up a bit, since I’m pretty sure those are safe.

AuroraLights

Arachnosquire
Oh no, that's terrible! :eek: I totally agree then, definitely don't add anything from there without completely sterilizing it. Do you have any idea what the parasite is or where it might have come from? I've never heard of anything like that before, it's scary.

NopusNatus

Arachnopeon
An easy way to add beneficial microorganisms is to throw some milliped poop in the new containers. This ensures that the same beneficial organisms will be added to the new substrate and transition should be easier. This is practiced religiously in the beetle community but I don’t see it mentioned that often with millipedes.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
An easy way to add beneficial microorganisms is to throw some milliped poop in the new containers. This ensures that the same beneficial organisms will be added to the new substrate and transition should be easier. This is practiced religiously in the beetle community but I don’t see it mentioned that often with millipedes.
That’s actually a great idea, I have loads of that!

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Oh no, that's terrible! :eek: I totally agree then, definitely don't add anything from there without completely sterilizing it. Do you have any idea what the parasite is or where it might have come from? I've never heard of anything like that before, it's scary.
641EA2F0-6CE4-449F-A778-58BC026AC713.jpeg
That’s the parasite that came out of my wild caught isopods and killed all the ones in my backyard, not sure what it is. I took this picture.

NopusNatus

Arachnopeon
I’ve heard of some Acanthocephala being parasitic to isopods, though I’m not sure that is what’s pictured. It is fascinating none the less.

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Just added a ton of ivory millipede frass to my containers + archispirostreptus gigas frass / dirt which is all saturated with an old culture of springtails. Now I’m going to let them sit for awhile and add my millipedes. I’ll keep you guys updated! E7D80027-09B2-462A-90A7-23F0C2A98FFE.jpeg