Substrate Drying

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello, I am going to be mixing substrate for a H. arizonensis soon (tonight or tomorrow) and was wondering if there is a good way to expedite the drying of substrate.

It will be 30/70 clay/sand. I'm thinking a combination of using HOT water when mixing and doing it in 2" layers. I'd let each layer dry in the New Mexico sun (it's not Arizona sun, but it's still pretty toasty).

I'd follow this until I reach 6-8".

Would this work better than piling it up to 6-8" right off the bat? Is there anything else that I can do?

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Seems pretty alright to me. Personally, I don't see the point of layering 2" at a time, but it will work as well if not more so. Don't think there's more to add, unless I'm missing something :)

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hello, I am going to be mixing substrate for a H. arizonensis soon (tonight or tomorrow) and was wondering if there is a good way to expedite the drying of substrate.

It will be 30/70 clay/sand. I'm thinking a combination of using HOT water when mixing and doing it in 2" layers. I'd let each layer dry in the New Mexico sun (it's not Arizona sun, but it's still pretty toasty).

I'd follow this until I reach 6-8".

Would this work better than piling it up to 6-8" right off the bat? Is there anything else that I can do?

Layers will get it done quicker. Also, when the sun goes down bring it in, position a heat lamp inside it and cover some of the top with foil to create a little oven. That's about all you can do besides waiting.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll continue on this thread with my updated drying question.

Callout to @RMJ

How long does it take for this condensation to leave? It's like it's trapped and I still have at least one more layer!
20160904_131408.jpg
It's been in the dry/hot sun for about 4 days otherwise in a heated closet at ~85° for at least 4 hours a day under a heat lamp for the last week.

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer

Callout to @RMJ

How long does it take for this condensation to leave? It's like it's trapped and I still have at least one more layer!
View attachment 219510
It's been in the dry/hot sun for about 4 days otherwise in a heated closet at ~85° for at least 4 hours a day under a heat lamp for the last week.
It takes forever!!!!!! A few weeks at the least.

Ahhhh, I forgot this important part. You could add a couple of UTHs to help dry it out too.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It takes forever!!!!!! A few weeks at the least.

Ahhhh, I forgot this important part. You could add a couple of UTHs to help dry it out too.
I put a little heat mat I bought a long time ago for my tatantulas ( :eek: ) but it doesn't appear to help much because the tape came off... maybe I'll put it back with some hot glue or something...

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I put a little heat mat I bought a long time ago for my tatantulas ( :eek: ) but it doesn't appear to help much because the tape came off... maybe I'll put it back with some hot glue or something...
I wouldn't use hot glue, that could get messy. I would use a little stack of coins or two under the pad so it makes contact with the glass.

RMJ

Arachnosquire

Callout to @RMJ

View attachment 219510
Hi mate!, I used two IR 40W bulbs in my tank and had them on in the day every day for nearly 2 weeks :)

brolloks

Arachnobaron
Wow, super time intensive exercise. I have only done small clay/sand containers and they took quite some time to dry as well.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi mate!, I used two IR 40W bulbs in my tank and had them on in the day every day for nearly 2 weeks :)
What a bummer, I was looking forward to getting my little buddy. I take it that it's quite important to have it all/most dry.

I'll be getting an approximately 2in. specimen so there will be molts in the future. Is it best to have it completely dry towards the top half or more and leave a touch of moisture in the bottom for molting?

RMJ

Arachnosquire
What a bummer, I was looking forward to getting my little buddy. I take it that it's quite important to have it all/most dry.

I'll be getting an approximately 2in. specimen so there will be molts in the future. Is it best to have it completely dry towards the top half or more and leave a touch of moisture in the bottom for molting?
I have never had a molt so cannot speak from personal experience but yes I believe a small gradient of humidity in the first 1-2" of substrate would be ideal if you have 8" + of substrate in the tank.

It is important for it to be dried well but it will never dry completely so dont get too focused on that! especially with what your trying to simulate for molting behaviors :)

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have never had a molt so cannot speak from personal experience but yes I believe a small gradient of humidity in the first 1-2" of substrate would be ideal if you have 8" + of substrate in the tank.

It is important for it to be dried well but it will never dry completely so dont get too focused on that! especially with what your trying to simulate for molting behaviors :)
With the tank I'm setting up, I'll probably only get 7 inches of substrate. :(

I guess I'll just make sure it's really dry then... :sorry:

shining

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With the tank I'm setting up, I'll probably only get 7 inches of substrate. :(

I guess I'll just make sure it's really dry then... :sorry:
Don't feel so bad, that's a paradise to a 2" specimen.

Like was stated by @RMJ , don't stress the bottom 2", it may even help with the humidity gradient they'd encounter in the wild to help with molts. If it was a full grown specimen we'd have to worry about the whole mycosis thing.