Substrate/care for Dune Scorpion (Smeringurus Mesaensis)

TaylorCV27

Arachnopeon
what’s the best substrate for a Dune Scorpion? I read somewhere that a mixture of excavator clay, and desert sand was recommended. And would I need a small heat pad too? I feel bad that I got one without looking up these things beforehand. Mine is about an inch and a half or so maybe 2 inch. It’s on some tarantula substrate right now. And how big should the enclosure be?

Outpost31Survivor

Arachnoprince
what’s the best substrate for a Dune Scorpion? I read somewhere that a mixture of excavator clay, and desert sand was recommended. And would I need a small heat pad too? I feel bad that I got one without looking up these things beforehand. Mine is about an inch and a half or so maybe 2 inch. It’s on some tarantula substrate right now. And how big should the enclosure be?
Burrowing substrate consisting of clay and sand. 75F-85F temps should be fine.

Malwarewolf404

Arachnopeon
Any recommendations on moisture? I know some southwest US species can be really sensitive to moisture (I keep losing baby Desert Hairies because the moosture gets too high), but are Dune scorpions any better? Would a water dish be recommended?

gzophia

Arachnosquire
Any recommendations on moisture? I know some southwest US species can be really sensitive to moisture (I keep losing baby Desert Hairies because the moosture gets too high), but are Dune scorpions any better? Would a water dish be recommended?
From what I have seen, S. mesaensis should be kept on absolutely bone dry substrate. Usage of water dishes for this species depends on the keeper; I don't think it is needed though.

gzophia

Arachnosquire
I always use a water dish. I have seen them drink from them. Same with H. arizonensis.
Yeah, I was thinking of your care methods and that picture when I made my post! Thanks for the input.