subspinipes bites

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
between a a. subspinipes and s. heros bites id take the heros any time...its like comparing hitting your thumb with a tiny trim hammer or a sledge hammer

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Ameiva...that is a tiny S. subspinipes, compare the bite of one that size to one that is approaching 9" long and almost 3cm in diameter and I think you'll find a SLIGHT difference ;)

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ah ha, that Scolopendra subspinipes subspinipes looks very, very similar to the Indonesian Black Tipped I purchased from Botar. Been wondering about that for a while.

I think I'd rather take a whack from the subspinipes subspinipes over a chomp from either of my 9" psychos! But still, I'm aiming to remain bite free where any of the pedes are concerned!

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
he has been :)

i would say that heros are calmer than subspinipes... but ultimately it doesn't matter what the "average" example of the species does... it matters what the one that you want to get is going to do

heros aren't fun to get bit by from all accounts i have read. gala got tagged in the arm and it swelled and pained him for like two days. that is about as bad as "african giant yellowleg" (Eth. trigo?) and Tanzanian Tiger blackhead male (S. morsitans).

subspinipes is worse from what i have read.

honestly though, if you give a centipede a chance to burrow or a really good hide then there is like 0.0001% of it biting you and only slightly larger that it will get out.

basically you have to give it everything it needs or it will try to move on to find what it needs. most of my centipedes just chill. some underground, some above.

oh, and individuals seem to go through phases of being very secretive and very brazen. dunno why.

edit:
one day i'm going to have to get bitten by a subspinipes. just so i have the full spectrum covered.
yeah and got tagged when we were buggin together a few weeks ago too on the finger, he said it didnt hurt much and only swelled up a tiny bit. i am sure its bite varies depending on if it chews on you for a while or you let it go and just get a punch mark lol

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well, the hongkong giant i got tagged by was about 6 1/2" it just "tapped" me,and man the pain/swelling was just terrible,i could just imagine if this thing bit and hung on,forget it!

arachi american

Arachnopeon
theyre not really that hard to handle as long as you use tongs in-cage and stay nice and calm once its out.

caaaareful =)

ragnew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
theyre not really that hard to handle as long as you use tongs in-cage and stay nice and calm once its out.

caaaareful =)
Man, mine would never, ever let me get that close. I guarantee the minute they touched my hand after being in those tongs...

I'd be a hurtin' unit!

Pretty neat pics though!

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I've been bitten by an 8 inch subspinipes and I felt no pain from it although it stayed swollen for about 6 months off and on. I have kept mactans for about 6 years in large numbers (with a wild caught female that has been bred, large numbers are the norm) and never been bit but the first pede I ever got bit me within 5 minutes of being delivered. Like everyone says, with care and caution, either one is about as safe as the other. Just keep an eye out and understand that they both can fit through very tiny holes!