stupid question

Xochie

Arachnopeon
not to sound like a noob (well, maybe slightly a noob) but was wondering with everyone that is breeding their 'T', what do y'all do with the slings?? Doesn't an egg sac produce between 50 - 2000 slings?? (I read that somewhere) WOW!! that's a lot of spiders. I currently have a female c. fasciatum that is approx 9 years old that i never bred, was just curious.:?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
simple answer... you obviously have a T which parents were bred at some point. If they didn't bred...you would not have your T.

We all have T's as a result of ongoing breeding efforts.

Diva Satanica

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not to sound like a noob (well, maybe slightly a noob) but was wondering with everyone that is breeding their 'T', what do y'all do with the slings?? Doesn't an egg sac produce between 50 - 2000 slings?? (I read that somewhere) WOW!! that's a lot of spiders. I currently have a female c. fasciatum that is approx 9 years old that i never bred, was just curious.:?
I would think a lot of the people who breed, are already established with customers (other suppliers, stores, etc.) and others sell to friends and online.

Xochie

Arachnopeon
like i said it's a stupid question and i know if it wasnt for breeders, i wouldn't have my 'T'. It just seems like there are so many ppl breeding you would see a lot more for sale (or maybe I'm not looking in the right place) Please forgive my ignorance.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Doesn't an egg sac produce between 50 - 2000 slings??
It depends on the species. I think some only end up with maybe 25 or so, maybe I'm thinking of avics? While L. parahybana is more likely to give you thousands of babies. G. rosea averages 200-300, I think.

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That wasn't a stupid question, I've been wanting to know round about how many slings too but I always forget to research. Thanks for bringing it up :D

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Some of us hobbyists that breed sell the slings to dealers at a VERY low price. Kind of like a supplier. Personally, I think that works well for us and the dealers.

Xochie

Arachnopeon
I guess i'm getting more into the hobby than just owning a 'T'. Seems like one just isn't enough for me anymore (not after I saw the terrarium posts...OMG, most of you own what looks like a whole room full...i'm jealous..lol!)

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a noob too, but isn't the reproductive rate something like 15%? Even if you are lucky enough to get an egg sac there are lots of dangers before they mature enough to be "born", like the female eating the sac and the babies cannibalizing each other. How much success do those of you who breed really have?

Nitibus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm a noob too, but isn't the reproductive rate something like 15%? Even if you are lucky enough to get an egg sac there are lots of dangers before they mature enough to be "born", like the female eating the sac and the babies cannibalizing each other. How much success do those of you who breed really have?
From what I've read a mortality rate of 25% is considered a dismal failure.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You also have to think about how different arrangements are made. For example, lets say I send out my male avic avic to someone else to breed with their female. The female lays a sack of, lets say 200 babies. I get 100, the owner of the female gets 100. Each of us has deaths of 10% due to failure to thrive. That leaves us with 90 each. Lets say we each decide to keep 5 slings each for future breeding, so 85.
Once you start selling them and trading them to other people for other T's, you most likely end up with the numbers being down enough you can handle taking care of them, and you can hold some so you can raise them to adults or juvies for those people who don't like to buy slings.
Of course, this is assuming you don't do something like breed L. parahybana....