Stupid Petshops

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
HI all, im sure you all have similar stories but i saw a 2.5 inch, maybe smaller A.Seemani at my petshop for $74.99. I didn't have the guts to tell them at even 1/2 that price it would still be spendy =) Also this spider was kept on strictly sphagnum moss, in which it has pushed a little to the side in a corner and sat on the glass bottom. What if it had to molt? no way could it spin a web on the sphagnum moss and flip over properly. It seems it liked the glass better than what they were providing for it! If it hadn't been so expensive i would have bought it and rescued it in an instant! Any of you have any rediculous stories about petshops and pricing or other things?

Mark

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I once saw a Haplopelma Minax on sale at a petshop for $50 when I know I can find full grown ones for $15. I've also seen rose hairs sold for $35, where I've seen them on sale for $4. These aren't as outrages as previously posted, but outrageous nonetheless.

schlinkey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
how bout 250$ for an aboreal semi-adult H. Lividum? hehehe

And the worst part is: it actually IS a H.Lividum... must have been dropped on the floor or something.. ;)

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Keep in mind that you can't really compare internet prices to retail store prices. They are two entirely different worlds. With that being said, a $250 semi-adult arboreal H. lividum is a bit ridiculous... in more ways than one.

Botar

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by schlinkey
how bout 250$ for an aboreal semi-adult H. Lividum? hehehe

And the worst part is: it actually IS a H.Lividum... must have been dropped on the floor or something.. ;)
We have a new frontrunning winner for most outrageous pricing. lol =D

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Heh heh, thats violent...tho curious, how much is H. Lividum going for there?

The shops here try RM80++, (about US20) each....bit much for a locally found sp.

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Pet Shop

Well I happen to work at a pet shop so I know that all arnt bad and overpriced. Our pet store is a familiy owned one (not my familiy)so we can affored to sell the creatures for less than other stores. I also get the pleasure of making sure all of are spider are provided with prober bedding food and water, not to mention resonable prices. So I ask that we look at some good petstores as well.

Sincerely,

Brandon

Bjorgly

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Good to hear brandon, im sure there are many other good ones out there, i was just taking a stab at my particular petshop =). I wanted to work there for the longest time but i'd never make enuf money. What really gets me, in the store i go to, is that not even 5 feet away from the poorly cared for tarantulas is the tarantula keeper's guide! TO think they dont even read those books or take advice from them and sell them to be the best books on the market!

Mark

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was just up in Burlington VT and in a pet store up there I found a leapard tortoise that was going for $175, the tort was so dehydrated that the shell underneath was concaved in and the top part of the shell was so soft that you could actually push in on it. Now i dont know much about them but you could tell it was in bad shape.:mad:

Brandon

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Torties

Sounds to me like it had shell rot, witch is a cause from lak of calcium and UVA lighting. Its is always those stupid mistaks and lak of knowledge that really get to you.

Sincerely,

Brandon:mad:

savian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Local store was selling a B Smithi for 100$. I use to work at one of those stores and I will tell you that they don't all way make the price. I got to due the ordering and I was shocked at how much the retailers wanted for there T's. 80$ for a sling H. Lividum. They don't really control the price so before you start yelling about price understand the reason.

krystal

Arachnodite
Old Timer
at my local petstore, i got my juvie a. geniculata and b. boehmei for $60/each. then i shelled out $25 for my pterror. wayne crenshaw (see review in "online seller review" forum) sold me a l. parahybana sling for $9, and he threw in a l. cristata sling free. of course, the a. geniculata turned out to be a male, but my b. boehmei and pterror are both females. i'm still waiting on sexing the spiderlings.

all in all, i think i've gotten pretty good deals (esp from wayne). but then again, i didn't do much comparison shopping!

Last edited:

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
A local store had a P. regalis for $250. Oh, and B. vagans for $150!

Joy

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I posted a few weeks ago about my local petshop having an adult C. crawshayi for 250$. not to mention it was the height of sorry looking T's.. sitting on bark chips, with fungus all over it. It did NOT look like it was having a good time. Yet, on the other hand, Juveniles at that shop aren't TOO insanely expensive. I got a rose hair for 14 bucks, though she is absolutely psychotic, for lack of a better word. They've added in the last week H. Maculata slings for 30 bucks, and 2 inch Avicularia Purpurea (or so they claim) for the same.

Bill

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice. Take off a zero and that's what I paid for my P. regalis =p

Pet store here has a B. Emilia for $79.99 and he claims he'll cut me "one hell of a deal" if I buy it. Almost tempted to give in just to add to my collection.

Can you tell sexes apart by color with B. Emilia? I saw a post earlier where someone said a Emilia with all nearly all red/orange legs (It was a picture) said it looked male..

Jobe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
saw C. crawshayi Sling goin for RM250 (US$65+)....just wondering is that decent, or killer pricing....
Its about 1" LS...

any info?...

sorry, previously put us50, counted wrongly

Last edited:

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael

Can you tell sexes apart by color with B. Emilia? I saw a post earlier where someone said a Emilia with all nearly all red/orange legs (It was a picture) said it looked male..
Certainly not a B. emilia. The only groups with color sexual dimorphism that I know of, and I'm sure someone may know others, is the Pamphobeteus and Aphonopelma. But, Brachypelma males do have physical differences from females that are noticeable in pictures. Females typically have larger chelicerae and relatively shorter and thicker legs than males. Those characters are by no means full proof, but you could easily look at a photo and think, "Hmm, looks like a boy".

Al Muoio

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great Deal

This pet shop just got in their shipment. They have marked Mexican Red leg sling $100. On another container a 2" White knee $49. I looked at the White knee for $49 and it was the Red Knee in the container. Someone will get a great deal. It even had marked from the distributer in black magic marker BE on the side of the container. I ask the women if she knew what those letters were and she said no. So I explained and she said she will talk to the owner about it. Hmmm.

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
pet stores can be high...

We have one store here that's been around forever. He got his start breeding and selling guppies. Kind of a flakey guy all his stuff is overpriced but looking in there one day last year he had the following.
Adult male greenbottle $300 of course he had no clue it was male.

Near adult B smithi $500

4 inch B boehmei $500

Adult B emilia $500

Pretty reasonable huh? lol
Phil