Stridulation

Brettus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have an Aussie T, which are renowned for their propensity to stridulate. I was wondering if tarantulas that do stridulate only gain the ability at a certain stage. For instance, would a juvie be able to stridulate, or is it only as they reach maturity?

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i am not sure if they have to mature a bit before they can stridulate. I know when i first got my Citharischius crawshayi it did nothing but run away and hide when bothered. (that was at a size of about 1") Recently it went through a molt and started displaying interesting behavior. SHE {D is now about 2.25" and rears up and stridulatesnwhen ever she is disterbed. I guess at a certain size they begin to show their attitudes.:evil: lol

well i hope this has helped you out. here check this out:
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=14094234

you have to listen a little but you'll hear it.. hope yours gets to that point soon.:razz: :razz:

Derrick

Arachnopeon
I am by no means an expert....but "I think" the hairs that are used for stridulation wouldnt be developed enough to stridulate when the T is a small sling. After a few molts the hairs get bigger and more rigid which would help with stridulation. Just a guess....