Strange or normal behaviour?

sja69

Arachnopeon
I caught my 2" G. Pulchra carrying a couple of lumps of substrate and dropping them into his/her water dish.
Does he/she not like the waterdish or do they find it easier to soak up the water through the substrate?
I'm just intrigued because people always say to keep a 'clean' water dish.

Attachments

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is perfectly normal. It is also normal for them to throw boluses(food waste) and molts in there as well. These you can pluck out easily, but the substrate may be refilled every time you clean it out, which can get frustrating. Sometimes they just do that and some times you just have to let them win. They can still get water from the substrate in the water dish, so we have learned to give up for a week or two and leave it in there before cleaning it out again. This seems to satisfy the need for the substrate to be in there and it will be awhile before it goes on that kick again. Spray the substrate in the dish, if it looks overly dry and you are worried about hydration.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My B. albo is constantly filling it's water dish up with substrate. Nothing to worry about.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My pulchra doesn't do this, but my a.brocklehursti usually spends her days plugging up the waterdish.. I think she just likes the look of it by now...

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
:clap: Woooot!? You ain know? ALL G. pulchra channel landscapers from a previous life. I'd be more worried that someone had sold me the wrong spider if it DIDN'T do that. {D