Strange behavior...result:dead T

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have a Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon Pink Bird Eater) and he molted about 3 weeks ago and i would say he was now at about 7- 7.5".... well the molt looked like it had gone great and everything was cool....but ever since that molt he has been acting VERY strange. It would always sit in a scruntched up position with its legs tucked over his head...not in a death curl.....but all scruntched up. That is the only position that he would stay in. I have him on the top of my dresser and when i open up the drawers he might move a little if i made a big vibration....but now he goes crazy at the least little vibration! another thing: when he moves he is very jerky and he walks like he is on a hot griddle....when he puts his feet on the ground his legs go crazy like something hurts. He hadn't eaten since he molted...which was wierd already....and the other day a put a crcket near him....and the cricket ran by him and he went absolutely CRAZY!!! he was like running laps around part of his cage and climbing up stuff and just going nuts. So i was getting real worried....and yesterday morning i saw that he had dug a small spot in the dirt of his log hide and was on his back like he was molting...so i misted part of his cage and tried not to disturb him and i put a hot towel over part of his cage to raise the humidity......so i left for school and went and spent the night at sum1's house....and when i got back today he was still in that same position.......dead.

i have never heard of anything like this....and i have dont really know what happend

does anyone know what has happend to my little friend?....he was like my favorite T that i have.

thanx for any help

esmoot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It just happens sometime. I've only had it happen once to a borrowed mature male. It too flipped over and died.

Was your male mature?

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sounds to me like it got a dose of pesticide. I had a G. rosea that perished with these same symptoms about a week after a can of Raid was sprayed in the room. My boyfriend did not think it would hurt the spider from that distance, but it did. I have also read other posts of Ts behaving like this after being fed wild-caught prey items. (I think it was a T. blondi that had been fed a baby bird found in the yard.)

Is there any way the T could have come in contact with a pesticide? A pet cat treated with Frontline or flea and tick shampoo?

ACoopBB24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hey thanx for the replies....

HerpInvertGirl....i think that your theory is the best....before her last molt i fed her a wild caught mouse that we caught in our house and i think my mom had been laying out poison to ice....maybe thats what happend

and just to let yall know...im not sure of what sex it was

i hope i can get another sometime soon

Coop

Matt

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi!
From your descripttion it sounded like the problem described in this thread here:

Link

Greets
Matthias