still no sperm web

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
so my mm genic still hasnt made a sperm web and keeps insisting he wants to mate. He never moves from the spot he is sat in now, never eats, drinks etc. I have paired him about 4 times and he has inserted every time, but afterwards when he goes back into his own enclosure he just sits in the same spot and doesnt make a sperm web. The female starts drumming really loudly the next day and he always responds too, but i give it a few days then pair them again with the same result. Its really narked me why he isnt making sperm webs (and he isnt concealing the evidence) i check thoroughly every time hes in with the female and no web whatsoever. What is happening? Why does he want to mate when he hasnt reloaded?! He is getting proper insertions too, lifting her near vertically in a vise grip and his embolus stays prominent after the pairing. I know i must sound like a broken record now, but is there anyone who can shed some light on the problem please? He has been mature for a month and never made a sperm web. Is he infertile? Anyone else have/had similar concern? Thanks

Ceratogyrus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Do you watch the spider 24/7? Males will usually break down the sperm web after they have have loaded their palps, so there will not be much evidence of it when they are done.

Dominatus

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I was gonna say, I had an Acanthoscurria geniculata mature male that bred a female of mine. Had several insertions over 3-4 weeks period but I never saw a sperm web and sent him back to his owner for him to try to breed another female of his that had just molted. But I got a fertile egg sac later from my female!

But that doesn't really help you if he is indeed faking you out, sorry.

-Dominatus

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
If he has sperm left in his palps he probably wont make a new web. I bred my G. pulchra about 7 times and the male never did a new spermweb, same with my X. immanis and A. versicolor but my B. albopilosum made a new web 2 days after.

I dont think you should wurry so much about it, the male will probably make a new web if he really needs to witch i think he dont. My X. immanis male hasnt made a web for 5 months:)

ornamentalist

Arachnoknight
hmm, i was giving it a thought that he may still be loaded and thats the reason, i usually intro him on a monday, then keep on and on looking in his enclosure for the next couple of days, im then at work a few days where i could miss it, but, i havent seen any web at all, not even mats or dental webs (he hasnt eaten) every time, i scrape the top surface of sub away to sieve through it, with no luck. Im just going to wait about 10-14 days until next intro now, hope he makes one while the female is still receptive, il just keep on with the wet weather every so often for now.