Starting to breed Theraphosa Blondis....

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Why do they die ? Not keeping the habitat at the correct conditions ? Feeding ?
Keeping the tank moist and warm without growing fungus and disease. Too dry they die and too wet they die. They also have molting problems a lot. I don't honestly know why anyone would take on the additional care reauirements and cost of blondi over t stirmi. Hairs on knees???? Anyway, two blondi would cost you $500 and be super hard to even keep alive, let alone breed. Good luck......

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
Keeping the tank moist and warm without growing fungus and disease. Too dry they die and too wet they die. They also have molting problems a lot. I don't honestly know why anyone would take on the additional care reauirements and cost of blondi over t stirmi. Hairs on knees???? Anyway, two blondi would cost you $500 and be super hard to even keep alive, let alone breed. Good luck......
I couldn't agree more with you..I had rather go with docile tarantulas to breed...as a starter t.stirmi or blondi aren't recommended since they are aggressive and defensive in nature and very fast species... Keeping right humidity would be my other worry with these...brachypelma species are best to go by or g.pulchra..I love Avicularia species as well although I do not own one just yet

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If these are your first tarantula, you're gonna have a bad time...

Seriously though...wouldn't it be better to start keeping a species which is less sensitive for a while? Get your husbandry right, maybe mate a less difficult species first?
You want to bring more T.blondi to the US hobby, an admirable goal.

But if you lose two spiders, you are actually making the hobby LOSE spiders. And not just two, but also the possible offspring those two could have got if they were paired by a breeder with experience.

SuleymanC

Arachnoknight
If these are your first tarantula, you're gonna have a bad time...

Seriously though...wouldn't it be better to start keeping a species which is less sensitive for a while? Get your husbandry right, maybe mate a less difficult species first?
You want to bring more T.blondi to the US hobby, an admirable goal.

But if you lose two spiders, you are actually making the hobby LOSE spiders. And not just two, but also the possible offspring those two could have got if they were paired by a breeder with experience.
I agree brachypelma albopilosum or smithi are nice starter Ts to start breeding. T.blondi or stirmi requires expert care

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
We'll all good advice, maybe I shouldn't try it, until I am more seasoned.
I think that is a good idea. T.blondi are going to remain popular, so there will be T.blondi to mate and sell when you are ready :)

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
LOL, why do people still think blondi are hard to keep alive? They absolutely ARE NOT.

Having experience with breeding Poecilotheria, Avicularia, Psalmopoeus or Brachypelma won't prepare you for Theraphosa anyways. I'd go for it if I was you. If you're confident, it's worth giving it a shot. If I had to listen to every advice given to me from this forum I'd still be keeping Avicularia and wouldn't be the first to breed P. miranda in my country ;)

BUZZLIGHTYEAR

Arachnopeon
I have been the proud owner of a female blondi for the past two years with nothing but a positive experience. It was one of the first of many T's I acquired initially. What exactly is the difference between the blondi and the stirmi?

cold blood

Staff member
I have been the proud owner of a female blondi for the past two years with nothing but a positive experience. It was one of the first of many T's I acquired initially. What exactly is the difference between the blondi and the stirmi?
post a pic...you likely have stirmi

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm in the process of getting a T Blondi male and female. I have no experience but I go big. That's why I'm hoping to get good advice so I can make this work.
I be interested in seeing photos of the male and female blondi, please post photos of them, ask the seller if you can use his/her photos of this species. Also what size is the male and female?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
ive never heard of blondi being harder to keep than stirmi or apophysis..?

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
If you gotta ask it's a stirmi.

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
I feel stirmi is considerably more hardy than blondi btw, not exactly the easiest T but not nearly as sensitive for whatever reason. Maybe start with a Pamphobeteus nigricolor or Xenesthis immanis or some other large NW terrestrial that likes damp conditions but is far less sensitive than Theraphosa, then move to a T. stirmi and maybe even try breeding them after a while and then after you are very comfortable with all these make the jump to T. blondi

esa space station

Arachnoknight
Nowadays t of course most have opted to breed t stirmi exactly the same as blondi but less prone to egg sack eating.there is no difference in husbandry of t stirmi or true blondi mating or otherwise