"Starter" Old World Tarantulas

YungRasputin

Arachnobaron
Ceratogryus is an excellent genus to start with - C. darlingi, C. marshalli, etc all good choices - i think any defensive behavior on their part, is a good proving ground for if you’re wanting to go further down the OW rabbit hole

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Some of the darlingi observations are wanting me to crawl outta that rabbit hole I’m in 😅. Seriously though, I agree suggestions made have been good ones.

I feel like the first ‘leap’ is always the hardest part. You feel ready and like it’s time, but there’s that little bit inside that is anxious if it really is the right time, at least for me anyways. Six of the overall seven I have had really have been great experiences so far.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
All suggestions seem very good. I keep hearing about E. pachypus being another laid back baboon. If only it were readily available nowadays.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Meanwhile I am of the opinion that certain True Spiders are the best training for Old Worlds. If you get along with Heteropoda or Cupiennius, for example, you will notice that OWs are not that fast...

Hardus nameous

Yes, but only on Tuesdays!
Arachnosupporter +
I've found the hardest part of keeping a Pelinobius muticus is having a piece of furniture capable of supporting a ten gallon aquarium with sixty pounds of topsoil.

AmbushArachnids

Arachnoculturist
Old Timer
I recommend a P. miranda, P. tigrinawesselli, P. metallica as a first OW. Those IME are the most shy and laid back OW I’ve kept and are good choices compared to other individuals from the Poecilotheria genus.

These select pokies are easier to manage, slower moving and more predictable than a handful Psalmopoeus species (NW arboreal) I keep. I recommend these to someone looking to move beyond just NW terrestrials or the Avicularia genus. Of course this depends on your comfort level of the venom and/or your personal medical/health as well as hand eye coordination skills.. level of fear an individual experiences with Ts (Some people should never own anything more than a hamster or hair kicking tarantula.)

(Disclaimer: OW Ts have potent venom and a bite can cause extreme discomfort, medical bills, time off work, tremors. Bite reports for this genus should be looked over. Individuals under 18 are advised not to keep OW species without parental consent.)

QuinnStarr

Arachnosquire
Arachnosupporter +
Absolutely love my Chilobrachys species and I would definitely recommend them as beginner old world
My two Chilobrachy’s are slings so they’re probably a little easier than jumping in with a whole spitfire adult.
but I do love them soooo much!

Me, monkey around about baboons, never. Baboons are serious business, especially when it comes down to things that matter most, straight horned or curved. 😁

I‘m pretty light weight on ow, some of the ones members have would terrify me; my status is the kiddie table at this point, lol.
Keeping OW’s or NW’s doesn’t mean you’re a better keeper or a worse one than people who keep the other, or both. You take care of your T’s and you’ve taught me, personally, quite a bit between your jokes. I appreciate that - alongside an immense admiration for anyone who takes the time to learn proper T care instead of basing everything off of a care sheet from PetSmart. 🤷‍♀️

pongdict

Arachnosquire
Meanwhile I am of the opinion that certain True Spiders are the best training for Old Worlds. If you get along with Heteropoda or Cupiennius, for example, you will notice that OWs are not that fast...
Haha yes. Huntsman spiders are pretty fast. I had one 30 years ago. I cant believe that 10 year old me caught it by hand! It was in the bathroom and my mom was about to kill it. Luckily I stepped in and kept it as a pet.

Last edited:

TheMissonary

Arachnopeon
Just wanted to give you guys and update. I wound up with a C.Darlingi in the end (HOW COULDN'T I?) That being said almost all of the recommendations and discussions of different species has pointed me in the right direction with old worlds. Thanks for the help and I can't wait to add a few of these recommendations to my care when the time is right!

Craig73

Arachnoangel
Just wanted to give you guys and update. I wound up with a C.Darlingi in the end (HOW COULDN'T I?)
You get it already or it’s on the way? The initial transfer wasn’t bad, but I’m sure the next one will be fun. Several entry/exit points, it’s going to be like the game of wack a mole.

TheMissonary

Arachnopeon
You get it already or it’s on the way? The initial transfer wasn’t bad, but I’m sure the next one will be fun. Several entry/exit points, it’s going to be like the game of wack a mole.
Picked a sling up from a local breeder today. I've still got him in what he came in because I had to get to work but once I get back home I've got a good sized setup for the little guy all ready to go. Side note, I was able to see about 3-4 entrance/exits in the tiny deli cup he came in lol

gsepanik

Arachnopeon
Some will disagree with me, but I think that P. murinus can be a great starter OW tarantula. Ease of husbandry, beautiful spider, yes can be defensive but in my opinion this is way overblown. Just make sure you have the right setup, use common sense, and it's unlikely you'll have issues.
I am a pretty new keeper of OW and T's in general (less than 2 years experience). My first OW's were a pair of OBT slings, and I have found them to be fairly easy to deal with. I think Tom Moran's OBT husbandry video was really helpful to me, and my OBT's seem to be prett manageable compared to some of my NW Aboreals

djberthel

Arachnopeon
I am a pretty new keeper of OW and T's in general (less than 2 years experience). My first OW's were a pair of OBT slings, and I have found them to be fairly easy to deal with. I think Tom Moran's OBT husbandry video was really helpful to me, and my OBT's seem to be prett manageable compared to some of my NW Aboreals
I absolutely agree, especially if you follow proper precaution for OWs in general. I find OBTs to be a more predictable species in terms of care and behavior. All of my OBTs had a very similar disposition and routine when it came to rehousing and feeding.

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
If anyone has been married to the type of woman I was married to then any and all OW's are nothing in comparison......just saying.

So I'm starting with whatever I want when I'm ready to get some.