Stand for Vertical Orientation of Camera?

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Anyone out there in macro photography land know of any stands that will orient the camera vertically in addition to having it on a track to focus? I've done my search on the open internet to find extremes in this. From overpriced stands that look like they will fall apart to extremely expensive stands meant for professionals. Building my own is not an option since I can't build anything to save my life. Not too good with tools and materials.

I'm trying to take my photo documentation of small spiders and their anatomy to the next level by using macro photography but I need my DSLR to be mounted vertically. My stereo microscope with camera just isn't cutting it with the quality of images I'm trying to produce.

YagerManJennsen

Arachnobaron
I don't know of anything specifically like that. What you could try is a tripod with the camera mount pointed down along with adjusting the legs so there are two in front that are shorter and the longest in the back so it leans over a bit.

advan

oOOo
Staff member
There are a lot of options to do what you want. From adapters to fit your dslr directly to your microscope to something easy like clamps.

https://www.adorama.com/czmvp.html This would be something easy to just mount to a vertical post or table leg.

Many other DIY options as well. Good luck! -Chad

Bug Boy Wonder

Arachnopeon
Anyone out there in macro photography land know of any stands that will orient the camera vertically in addition to having it on a track to focus? I've done my search on the open internet to find extremes in this. From overpriced stands that look like they will fall apart to extremely expensive stands meant for professionals. Building my own is not an option since I can't build anything to save my life. Not too good with tools and materials.

I'm trying to take my photo documentation of small spiders and their anatomy to the next level by using macro photography but I need my DSLR to be mounted vertically. My stereo microscope with camera just isn't cutting it with the quality of images I'm trying to produce.
I'd look into different tripods and heads that suit your needs.
My gitzo tripod, I can remove the center column and orient it so the camera is positioned between the legs vs. on top. But that's probably way out of most people's spending limits for a set of legs (mine cost $1200) there are cheaper ones out there like vanguard($250-$400) I'd also look into macro bellows($50-$300) with a prime macro lens like a 105mm or 90mm (depending on age/Brand ($200-$800)the bellows will allow you to be more of a control freak with racked focusing.