Squirting excrement

Vayu Son

Old Timer
anyone have any T's that just let their excrement fly instead of wiping it on glass/vial walls? I was handling my 3.5" Psalmopeus cambridgei and she raised her abdomen in the air and sorta launched it about a foot and a half across the room. I was more than a little amused.

-V

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I have been told by a few that some T's, mostly arboreals do this when they get nervous. I've only ever seen crickets do it though.

Bill

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by Vayu Son
anyone have any T's that just let their excrement fly instead of wiping it on glass/vial walls? I was handling my 3.5" Psalmopeus cambridgei and she raised her abdomen in the air and sorta launched it about a foot and a half across the room. I was more than a little amused.

-V
You handle your P. cambridgi? Tell me about it. Anyone else do this?

Big Dragonfly

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Ive worked with her since she was 1/2" and she has never shown signs of aggresions(once to the tongs in pre-molt). She started out a little skiddish, but today crawled out like she wanted attention ;). I wouldnt recommend it in general, this usually is a ready-to-bite species.

-V

dilleo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was holding my Avic. avic and it I was looking at it closely. All of a sudden I saw it's spinnerets spread apart and it shot across the room hitting the wall, and making a sound with it. I said to it, "nobody shit's while I'm holding them!", and I put the bitch away. Uhhhhh!

-Jeremy

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Originally posted by dilleo
I was holding my Avic. avic and it I was looking at it closely. All of a sudden I saw it's spinnerets spread apart and it shot across the room hitting the wall, and making a sound with it. I said to it, "nobody shit's while I'm holding them!", and I put the bitch away. Uhhhhh!

-Jeremy
=D :D LMF'nAO!:D =D

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: ><

Originally posted by Vayu Son
Ive worked with her since she was 1/2" and she has never shown signs of aggresions(once to the tongs in pre-molt). She started out a little skiddish, but today crawled out like she wanted attention ;). I wouldnt recommend it in general, this usually is a ready-to-bite species.

-V
Speaking of which, I don't think that I have come across any bite reports on this species. Some people, I think, are under the impression that their venom toxicity would be similar to that of a Pokie. But as far as I can tell, that is unsubstantiated.

Big Dragonfly

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually made a post about this last week when my Avic Avic pooed all over my arm.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

all i ever did was touch my avics legs and abdomen, still did not hold it yet!

James

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Re: hey

Originally posted by Tarantula Lover
all i ever did was touch my avics legs and abdomen, still did not hold it yet!

James
I really wouldn't be worried about being bitten if that is what you are worried about. I would be worried about the thing jumping. They love to do that. The first time I ever held a pink toe, it jumped at me. That kind of freaked me out. But the tarantula turned out to be fine, even though it had fallen to the floor. I've had avics jump from my hand quite a few times. None have ever been hurt though. Right now, my only arborial is a Trinidad Chevron. I won't hold that one though.

Good Luck
Big Dragonfly

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have only seen one of my avics jump once and it was the strangest thing because I was holding it on the couch and it jumped and then bounced once it hit the couch.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that squirting of poo can be very effective in the wild, they can spray a predator (since Avics and Psalmopeus (?) don't have urticating hairs). Secondly their bodyweight reduces so they should be more agile in the trees.
Anyone ideas about this?
greetz,
Joost

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of the many times I was glad I wear glasses instead of contacts was one day when I was handling a mature female A. avicularia, and it turned and shot me with crap right in the middle of my left lens. That same day a box turtle pissed all over me and let's not even start on the cane toads.

Adrian