Springtails questions

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Have two stirmi now, doing fine. Have them on coconut husk sub with moss mixed in. No mite or mold problems at all so far, but was wanting to be proactive. Few questions I have. Would it be fine to put springtails in without any mold or anything present? Can springtails cause any problems in the enclosures? Any certain springtail I should be looking for? How much to put In the terrariums? And any ebay seller i should buy from (maybe a member here)? Thanks, Guys

basin79

ArachnoGod
Have two stirmi now, doing fine. Have them on coconut husk sub with moss mixed in. No mite or mold problems at all so far, but was wanting to be proactive. Few questions I have. Would it be fine to put springtails in without any mold or anything present? Can springtails cause any problems in the enclosures? Any certain springtail I should be looking for? How much to put In the terrariums? And any ebay seller i should buy from (maybe a member here)? Thanks, Guys
The springtails will do absolutely fine eating the leftovers off your T's. That's what mine eat in with my inverts. My Scolopendra Hardwickei tub has loads of the little buggers. As does my Psytalla Horrida tub and all they feed on is the left overs and excretions at a guess.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Recently started using springtails for my E.murinus enclosure, I thought they would die due to not enough food, and I would have to buy new ones. But, nope! They're surviving and thriving off the leftovers and boli left by the T. There are even more springtails in the enclosure now than when I put them in.
I must admit though, it still kind of sets me off, seeing little white beasties around my precious T...:eek:

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
^^^thats why I'm hesitant to put them in. I saw pink variety on ebay

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Isopods are something else I was looking into. There are a bunch of different kinda on ebay??? If anyone with experience knows What kind and how many to put in, the info would be appreciated.

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Ok bought 50 dwarf white isopods. Gonna put half in each stirmi enclosure. Do I need springtails or are the isopods enough to control mold and mites?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Ok bought 50 dwarf white isopods. Gonna put half in each stirmi enclosure. Do I need springtails or are the isopods enough to control mold and mites?
I've heard of people using them both for best results. But you could drop the isopods in and see how that goes. If you see tiny specks of mold rising, maybe then go for springtails as well. Some other cleaning issue from what i've heard are the waterdishes when keeping this species. They make foul pits of poo/boli/nuclear waste of them, so be sure to keep an eye on those. ;)

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Yeah I've been told.by two keepers.tha t u almost have to add pill bugs to control mites in the moist dirt. Actually bought 100 will still toss half in each tank. Hopefully they hide and don't look gross crawling on everything