spreading the joy!

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Doing my part to add to the growing numbers of tarantula owners, Shelby and I took a female juvenile curlyhair to the body shop that fixed my car. The guy that helped me with my claim has a 12 year old son that has apparently been begging for a tarantula for awhile. He keeps box turtles, lizards, and snakes. So yesterday afternoon, we went to the shop, and presented the tarantula to the guy. It was a blast, we had guys come out of the body shop, and the office staff standing around while we sat on the floor in front of the counter, and I showed him how to handle her! Luckily, they've done their homework, and know all about molting, eating, habitat, etc.
I also gave another guy in the shop a male and female hisser pair. His wife wanted them for pets! :)
Anyway, it was pretty cool..just thought I'd share!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's so cool! I know a 13 year-old who is just dying to get a tarantula after being around mine. I think I'm going to give her one of my curlies as soon as I have one large enough for her to care for easily.

JacenBeers

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have done the same sort of thing. I knew some people who wanted spiders so I got a really good bulk deal on a bunch of juvenile curlyhairs and then distributed them for a small price...just enough to make my money back and now I have gotten a lot of responsible people into the hobby.

Raveness

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's cool! Most people I know are too mush of wusses to like the ;P :p

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Good job - tarantulas need all the PR they can get!
I myself am working on a "quick care guide" that I plan to run off copies of and give to all the local petshops so that a) they know how to care for the T's they are selling and b) they can give one to each new T owner with their purchase. I'm trying to put together a couple of pages that will cover the general care and information about T's that a newbie needs to know to make sure that they give proper care to the animal. I'm sticking to a middle of the road approach with recommendations for further reading (and web sites to visit :D ) so that the guide will be applicable to any type of tarantula generally sold in shops. I give specifics on terrestrial vs aboreal where necessary. It's a little tough to touch on all they need to know and still keep it at a reasonable length. I really want to do this though because of the rampant inability of petshops to properly care for, or give correct information on the care of, tarantulas.

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Gail,
FYI...the ATS has a caresheet you can download just like this on their website!
That way, you don't have to do anything but hit the 'print' button!

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Gail,
How in the hell did I miss that? :8o Can I go put my head in the toilet and hide now LOL.

Gail

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Gail!!! don't stick your head in the toilet LOL!
I just went to find it, and now I can't either...I wonder if they removed it for some reason? It used to be there!

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Gail!!! don't stick your head in the toilet LOL!
I just went to find it, and now I can't either...I wonder if they removed it for some reason? It used to be there!
I understand it was accidentally removed, but will soon be restored, per sb.

Joy

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, it's been there all along - it's now under the "Articles Online" section and is the first article. You may all go put your heads in the toilet ;P

TigerWoman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gail,
What is the adress to the website?

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hey

that is really nice! i got my 1st T from mebebraz(mark braswell) he is really nice, he gave me 2 choices a pinktoe or a rosehair, i chose the pinktoe, it is really nice of people to do that! there are great people in this world!!!=D

James