Spp - SP

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what does Spp and Sp mean exactly?....I'm not sure if one means Aboreal species or burrowing species...I'm all confused lol..:? :?

Bothrops

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sp. = species (singular)
spp. = species (plural)

For example:

Pterinochilus spp. (all the genus)

Pterinochilus sp. (one species) -Pterinochilus sp. "usambara"-

Correct me if I'm wrong please...

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sp= species=> as in Brachypelma sp. => species is not known.
spp=>as in Brachypelma spp=>refers to more then one species. Like most of the Brachypelma spp come from Mexico.
subsp(subspp)=> Subspecies => as in Brachypelma smithi subsp "Dark"=> The species is B. smithi but it is a "Dark" form.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
sp. = species (singular)
spp. = species (plural)

For example:

Pterinochilus spp. (all the genus)

Pterinochilus sp. (one species) -Pterinochilus sp. "usambara"-

Correct me if I'm wrong please...
You beat me to it.
you are right.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
sp= species=> as in Brachypelma sp. => species is not known.
spp=>as in Brachypelma spp=>refers to more then one species. Like most of the Brachypelma spp come from Mexico.
subsp(subspp)=> Subspecies => as in Brachypelma smithi subsp "Dark"=> The species is B. smithi but it is a "Dark" form.
i always thought ssp was subspecies, and that it was reserved for actual described subspecies and not hobby color forms, morphs, phases, etc

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i always thought ssp was subspecies, and that it was reserved for actual described subspecies and not hobby color forms, morphs, phases, etc
you know it could be my text book is really old, like 5 years now, so let me google it.
It can go either way. ssp or subsp is the same thing. I just looked it up in the book and it says either way is ok. But you do not italics it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspecies

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
you know it could be my text book is really old, like 5 years now, so let me google it.
It can go either way. ssp or subsp is the same thing. I just looked it up in the book and it says either way is ok. But you do not italics it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subspecies
you italicize things when you want to highlight the fact it is different from what the person said, or to emulate stress in spoken word

you also italicize different languages in written word

i am doing the former and not the latter here :)

also, i was not begging to differ the ssp vs subsp... i was questioning the use of the example of a smithi dark form as a valid use of ssp. a better example would be something like "the Scolopendra subspinpipes ssp., S. subspinpes dehaani and S. subspinpies subspinpes, share common antennomere morphological traits, but can still be differentiated by terminal leg traits" or something to that effect.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i was questioning the use of the example of a smithi dark form as a valid use of ssp. a better example would be something like "the Scolopendra subspinpipes ssp., S. subspinpes dehaani and S. subspinpies subspinpes, share common antennomere morphological traits, but can still be differentiated by terminal leg traits" or something to that effect.
And yes you are right. It should not be used like that. That was my mistake. Sorry.